Video of me processing, please help

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
rottielover

Re: Video of me processing, please help

Post by rottielover »

all three fts files should be in the dropbox link now. Sorry took a little longer to upload than I thought...
rottielover

Post by rottielover »

Ivo I cannot thank you enough! I do have a long path yet to go, but my images are looking better and better now each time I try now. It was as if I had hit a learning wall, but you got me over it and now I feel like I'm learning again. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's great to hear! :thumbsup:

Looking at the Antares/RhoOph data, I can see the pattern noise you mentioned due to not dithering. Dithering will indeed sort that. If you have a simple tracker, just moving the field a tiny bit now and then manually will do the trick as well. Computer controlled spiralling out is best of course, but it may help in the meantime.

The light pollution remnant in the bottom right corner can indeed be removed using a higher corner aggressiveness.

Your data still compares well to other data from better gear though. Plenty hydrogen-alpha emissions to be seen with your unmodified camera. Nice!

Below is a "Reddit" rendition (e.g. more color-compromised version) of your data. Obviously there is an infinite amount of other ways/renditions that are equally valid.

---
--- Bin
Parameter [Scale] set to [(scale/noise reduction 35.38%)/(798.89%)/(+3.00 bits)]
--- Auto Develop
Parameter [X1] set to [2 pixels]
Parameter [Y1] set to [2 pixels]
Parameter [X2] set to [1942 pixels (-2)]
Parameter [Y2] set to [1296 pixels (-2)]
--- Wipe
Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [3 pixels]
Parameter [Drop Off Point] set to [0 %]
Parameter [Corner Aggressiveness] set to [97 %]
Parameter [Aggressiveness] set to [75 %]
--- Auto Develop
RoI over RhoOph complex
Parameter [Outside ROI Influence] set to [5 %]
--- Life
Isolate preset
--- HDR
Parameter [Algorithm] set to [Tame Highlights]
Parameter [Dark/Bright Response] set to [Full]
Parameter [Detail Size Range] set to [1015 pixels]
--- HDR
Parameter [Algorithm] set to [Reveal DSO Core]
Parameter [Dark/Bright Response] set to [Full]
Parameter [Detail Size Range] set to [975 pixels]
Parameter [Strength] set to [1.2]
--- Color
Parameter [Cap Green] set to [To Yellow]
Parameter [Style] set to [Artistic, Detail Aware]
Parameter [LRGB Method Emulation] set to [Straight CIELab Luminance Retention]
Parameter [Dark Saturation] set to [2.00]
Parameter [Bright Saturation] set to [2.00]
Parameter [Saturation Amount] set to [554 %]
Parameter [Green Bias Reduce] set to [1.47]
Parameter [Red Bias Reduce] set to [1.74]
--- Wavelet De-Noise
Parameter [Scale 1] set to [78 %]
Parameter [Color Detail Loss] set to [20 %]
Parameter [Brightness Detail Loss] set to [12 %]
Parameter [Grain Size] set to [9.5 pixels]
Parameter [Smoothness] set to [78 %]
--- Fractal Flux
The sharpen preset is nice as a post-process sharpen before saving.
Parameter [Filter Amount] set to [100 %]
Anteres_Reddit.jpg
Anteres_Reddit.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 6847 times
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
rottielover

Post by rottielover »

Thank you again!

Each time I run though these I feel like I learn something more. I appreciate the feedback on the gear as well. There is a lot of opinion out there on the web, which is touted about as absolute facts, but the truth is that most folks are trying to be helpful and tell folks what works for them, but that usually holds true for their gear or mindset. Not sure if that made sense ;)

For instance, the color mottle thing, I took that as a gear problem after watching those YouTube videos, and in fact you've shown me that it's not so much a gear problem, as it was a historical issue based on lack of functionality in tools (well and a gear issue also to a degree I supose). Anyway I digress.

So in theroy, I could accomplish "poor man's" dithering by flipping the tracking mount off, counting a period of time to let the sky rotate, then turning the mount back on while I take the exposure ? I'm thinking that would be a good way of doing it so that the other adjustments don't get knocked around while fiddling with the knobs to rotate the camera. Thoughts?
rottielover

Post by rottielover »

BTW, wanted to apologize for bringing up the whole color mottle thing. I was doing more searching and finally found your previous reply on this very video and subject. I should have searched more before asking.

There is an pretty good learning curve to this hobby (more like a cliff). It's no wonder people find it a little "challenging". ;)

I feel like I'm on a good path now though
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rottielover wrote:There is a lot of opinion out there on the web, which is touted about as absolute facts, but the truth is that most folks are trying to be helpful and tell folks what works for them, but that usually holds true for their gear or mindset. Not sure if that made sense ;)

For instance, the color mottle thing, I took that as a gear problem after watching those YouTube videos, and in fact you've shown me that it's not so much a gear problem, as it was a historical issue based on lack of functionality in tools (well and a gear issue also to a degree I supose). Anyway I digress.
I totally understand. I come from the "other way" where the immutable laws of physics and mathematics reign, in order to address real world problems that rear their head. This means that I really must understand each and every single issue/problem/circumstance in order to formulate a solution based in mathematics and physics. Sometimes this leads to me to find circumstances, problems (and even "solutions") that just don't make sense. The color mottle thing is one such example, but there is one notable website (clarkvision) full of nonsense out there that is doing a lot of damage and spreads a lot of misinformation.
So in theory, I could accomplish "poor man's" dithering by flipping the tracking mount off, counting a period of time to let the sky rotate, then turning the mount back on while I take the exposure ? I'm thinking that would be a good way of doing it so that the other adjustments don't get knocked around while fiddling with the knobs to rotate the camera. Thoughts?
This might indeed help a little. The important thing is to give other, non-neighbouring CCD wells a chance to capture the same detail. Preferably you'd spread this CCD well selection across a circular area.
rottielover wrote:BTW, wanted to apologize for bringing up the whole color mottle thing. I was doing more searching and finally found your previous reply on this very video and subject. I should have searched more before asking.
No apologies needed - no one can reasonably be expected to do all the research themselves and not ask questions along the way! I'm happy to repeat things if it helps people better understand the ins and outs. Things are hard enough to get your head around as it is.
There is an pretty good learning curve to this hobby (more like a cliff). It's no wonder people find it a little "challenging". ;)
You'd think that, but not so long ago the data and images you're producing right now would be the holy grail for most. The learning never really stops. However, the fun really begins where you know enough to start envisioning and accomplishing a particular look for your data and subject (what is this object known for, what processes are going on, can I frame it or juxtapose it in an interesting way, etc.). The hobby becomes a really zen-like experience when you know enough to let the data speak for itself and know/care intricately what happens to pixel values from emission to capture, from calibration to stacking, from import to switching off Tracking. This is not for everyone, but is one of the things StarTools accomodates.
I feel like I'm on a good path now though
That's great to hear! :D
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Lou

Post by Lou »

Hi rottilover,
I am having exaclty the same problem with the north america nebula as you have/had.
After all that help from Ivo can you please be so kind and post a picture of the new processed version so that I can see what I should aim for.
Thanks a lot

cs
Lou

Btw this is my last try
http://www.astrobin.com/304581/
rottielover

Post by rottielover »

Lou wrote:Hi rottilover,
I am having exaclty the same problem with the north america nebula as you have/had.
After all that help from Ivo can you please be so kind and post a picture of the new processed version so that I can see what I should aim for.
Thanks a lot

cs
Lou

Btw this is my last try
http://www.astrobin.com/304581/

Sorry it's been a bit since I've been around the forums. I don't have an astrobin account, I'm going to have to look into that site... I will attempt to attach it here.

http://imgur.com/a/fLJ8c

I'm not sure how much of a reference I would call it, I'm still very new to all this.