M27 From A Red Zone

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
dhellis59

M27 From A Red Zone

Post by dhellis59 »

Hi All,

I shot the attached image of M27 from a Red Zone in the Southeast US through an 80mm ED Doublet refractor with an unmodified Canon 450 D XSI. I am pleased with it, because last year this time I ran out of time trying to get it when just getting started in AP and trying to figure everything out.

But, I realize there is a lot of room for improvement. So, please feel free to provide any assistance on how I can improve via processing. Unfortunately, I lost the original fts file, but I will redo it with additional data I plan to acquire this weekend. This image was comprised of 34 3 & 4 min subs, 40 + darks, flats and bias each.

Thanks,,

Darryl
Attachments
M27 34 l 44 darks 49 flats 49 bias 082916.jpg
M27 34 l 44 darks 49 flats 49 bias 082916.jpg (112.41 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: M27 From A Red Zone

Post by admin »

Without seeing the data it's a little hard to say,but as it stands, this looks like a good image!
It shows colours (which are so often overlooked) and detail well with nice hints on the extent of the object.

There could be some issues due to combining 3 and 4 minutes subs, but it's hard to tell at this scale...
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
dhellis59

Re: M27 From A Red Zone

Post by dhellis59 »

Thanks Ivo. Yeah I lost the FTS file switching between my computers, and I am waiting to capture some more data before restacking.

I stacked the 3 and 4 minute images separately with there own calibration files in DSS. Is that not the best way to combine them?

I will resubmit when I get the additional inventory. I'm hoping to add some 10 minute subs.

Darryl