trouble with colours

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Rkonrad

trouble with colours

Post by Rkonrad »

I recently had the fortune of visiting a dark site (imaging for the first time not off my driveway!) and acquired data on m31. Dew was collecting and unfortunately I only got 45 min of data from my zoom dslr lens: f/8, iso 400. The image is certainly not great but considering how little light I actually collected I'm mildly impressed with the detail. I'm really finding it impossible to get the colours any where close to what they should be. There's an abundance of green despite using "cap-green" Is this because there was only 45 min of exposure? I thought I would attach a link to an edited image as well as the unprocessed file. I stacked darks, flats and lights under Regim. Thanks!!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cj13iturbxzy ... ioGwa?dl=0

Richard
admin
Site Admin

Re: trouble with colours

Post by admin »

Hi Richard,

I had a look at the data and something rather strange is going on with your data!
I'm thinking there might be something wrong with your settings in Regim with regards to the debayering matrix you're using. Some channels may be swapped.

I would also strongly suggest you apply dithering (if possible) next time - there is a lot of pattern ("walking"/"streaking") noise visible.

Do let me know how you get on!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Thanks Ivo,

I just noticed that I hadn't selected dcraw in preferences - that's probably why. I'm re-stacking as I type. I don't auto guide (yet) so dithering is probably not possible. If I set the slew for a very slow speed and nudge it between shots - could that work? Thanks!
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

The result is equally bizarre after processing the newly stacked image.. I guess I should contact the developer of Regim. .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm... If you use dcraw (if you're comfortable with the command line) to debayer one of the light frame RAWs yourself, do you get the same sort of output?
Ivo Jager
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, that's nice!
Ivo Jager
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

I think I missed something. ...What's nice?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Apologies - I responded to the wrong message :oops:

How did you get on with Regim?
Ivo Jager
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

To be honest, I'm having success with DSS plus I've discovered DarkMaster which matches the darks and lights of the same or similar temperature. It produces a file which tells DSS what to do - amazing. Unfortunately it doesn't work well under Linux. Maybe I'll work on the Regim problem some other time.

Cheers

Richard
smokey688i

Post by smokey688i »

Richard,

Try turning bicubic interpolation on in Regim in the register tab. I had very similar issues with Regim at first, but running a stack with bicubic interpolation on fixed it. This fix also worked for a friend of mine who had the same issue. I'm curious if it works for you. I think you'll find the Regim output is easier to process in Startools, probably attributable to DSS always white balancing the data, regardless of the settings.

Chris