autodev trouble

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Rkonrad

autodev trouble

Post by Rkonrad »

Hello Ivo or others out there

I find, quite regularly, that I can't achieve the same great results of autodev that I see from the temporary autodev that displays after a wipe. With my shot of m31 this is especially so. The galaxy is tilted at 45 degrees so I can't adequately select much of it. It almost seems hit or miss depending on how good a selection I can get with my mouse. I've tried experimenting with the detail range as well as the roi influence but am always disappointed.

Is there something I'm missing - or is there a way of getting at the temp stretch information and applying it?

Thanks!! Richard
Rkonrad

Re: autodev trouble

Post by Rkonrad »

I read in another post, someone has expressed the same issue. The solution sounds like a compromise though (missing detail in darker areas). Is there another way around this?

Thanks Richard
admin
Site Admin

Re: autodev trouble

Post by admin »

If you're stretching an image with a smaller galaxy against a starfield, then indeed you'll want to use a RoI.

The RoI is supposed to be a good representation of the dynamic range that you want to optimise for, so a slice of galaxy including an example of its brightest detail, plus some background should be a reasonable sample.

If you really want to, you can currently mimic Wipe's Temporary AutoDev, by running AutoDev w/o RoI and then use Develop (stretch as-is) to set the gamma to approx 0.41 (approximately reversing a 2.2 sRGB curve applied by AutoDev).

Lastly - this may or may not be a problem - some older screens (such as found in older budget laptops) are not well calibrated to show the full dynamic range. You can use this free online tool to double check.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast