Newbie to LRGB and Hubble Pallette Photography

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
astronomynut

Re: Newbie to LRGB and Hubble Pallette Photography

Post by astronomynut »

Guy, Yes, I have things set for "Standard Mode".

I stacked each data set seperately. In other words, Green, Red, Blue and Lum were stacked by themselves, and not lumped together

The problem was that I had my camera rotate about 30 degrees from the time I took the Lum data, and when I finished the rest. Apparently that causes the size of the photos of the GRB data to be at an angle, and therefore, when Star Tools tries to stack them, sees the GRB data as a larger photo.

I got disgusted, and just tossed the GRB data sets, keeping the Lum as my finished product. I will just have to revisit this object, and try gain, making sure I do not rotate the camera between data sets.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Sorry to hear you had to throw away some valuable data.
I'm don't use LRGB but I was looking at DSS and I saw the different settings. I had hoped it would be a simple fix to the problem.
My guess would have been that DSS would force the same image size and angle for all images - but that the edges would be badly affected on the R, G and B images where there was no data.
Obviously not - maybe DSS can't cope with that degree of rotation.

Good luck with the next image.

Guy
Guy

Post by Guy »

I have come across a technique which I think will fix problems like the one you had here - where Star Tools said the size was not compatible.
If you still have the stacked L,R,G and B files could you upload them so that I can see if it helps?

Thanks,
Guy