Problem with the first 3 choices.

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
gramps

Problem with the first 3 choices.

Post by gramps »

I’m using a Canon T3i. Stacked with DSS an out put the file as FITS. Load the image in Star Tools and run into my first problem. Which of the 3 choices should I use.

The camera manual says nothing about Bayering. (does or does not Bayer the image).
White balance is automatic unless you chose some other color temperature. (you can’t shut it off).
I play around a little with the DSS image so does that mean the image is no longer linear.
I’m not sure.
I've read the manual addressing this and at this point I’m not sure of anything.

Please take pity on a novice.
Tim
Whose mom kidding, I don't see any electricity in there.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with the first 3 choices.

Post by admin »

Hi Tim,

Choose the first option. Your camera has Bayer filter in place (most DSLRs do), however unfortunately, DSS insists on color balancing your data and there is no way to turn this behavior off.

Indeed, playing around in DSS will make the data no longer linear (so please don't!). In DSS, save your files with adjustments embedded rather than applied, or use the autosave.fts (or autosave.tiff) file that was generated.

Hope this helps,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
gramps

Re: Problem with the first 3 choices.

Post by gramps »

Hi Ivo,
Thank you for the reply.
Tim
Whose mom kidding, I don't see any electricity in there.