Help removing heavy artifacts...

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
nyairman

Help removing heavy artifacts...

Post by nyairman »

st-m31.jpg
st-m31.jpg (364.58 KiB) Viewed 5316 times
...this is from poor framing over multiple nights of imaging. I am looking for a way to remove the heavy artifacts seen in the top of this screen shot above M31. I have tried to remove it in post production but I am not happy with the result

Does anybody have a "fix" for removing this in Star Tools? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Greg
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help removing heavy artifacts...

Post by admin »

I'm afraid that one is really difficult to remove. It looks like some sort of stacking artifact?

Do you know what caused it?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
nyairman

Post by nyairman »

Hi. As stated in the OP, the artifacts are from poor framing. I have actually been able to get some good results in PP using Dodge/Burn and brightness tools to combat this. Thanks for your reply!
Greg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nyairman wrote:Hi. As stated in the OP, the artifacts are from poor framing. I have actually been able to get some good results in PP using Dodge/Burn and brightness tools to combat this. Thanks for your reply!
Hmmm... poor framing in itself should not cause such an artifact... was it introduced during Wipe? If so, masking out the stacking artifacts (e.g. the bits of poor framing) should prevent these.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
nyairman

Post by nyairman »

Sorry for the long delay. The artifacts were first seen after the first auto-dev. So, could you post the actual process that you speak about to mask out the artifacts, and then the attempt to erase or reduce these artifacts?

Thanks again for your help!

Greg T.
Greg
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

I don;t use autodev personally for my data I get better results using a manual dev to see what I have.