Can StarTools help with unmodded cameras?

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
pepe.lombris

Can StarTools help with unmodded cameras?

Post by pepe.lombris »

Hi,

I am using an unmodded Canon 6d for my daytime photography. I am so happy with this camera that I am hesitating to astromodify the camera. Now I came across some comments in the forums that claim the 6d does not necessarily have to be modded but rather has some decent sensitivity in Halpha.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5447 ... ot-to-mod/

It was concluded that a dedicated image processing could make up for much of reduced sensitivity in Halpha.

I’d like to ask whether there is a recommended workflow in StarTools that could help?

Clear skies
Stephan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can StarTools help with unmodded cameras?

Post by admin »

Hi Stephan,

You can definitely achieve great results without the need for modifying your camera. As a mater of fact, modifying your camera may create some problems of its own (e.g. color skew).

Fundamentally, indeed, fewer emission photons will reach your sensor, but - given good dark skies - you can make up for a whole lot with more total exposure time. As a side note, the link in the first post of that Cloudy Nights thread goes to a website by this individual - beware.

As for a StarTools workflow, you will find that as of StarTools 1.5, workflows - no matter the data source - are all very, very similar. 1.5 also implemented an new module ("Entropy-driven Detail Enhancement") which has a "Visual Ha" preset that can help boost Ha-specific (red channel) detail.

If you have a dataset you have trouble with, or would like a personalised tutorial/work flow, do feel free to share it with us here (or through private message).

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast