RGBHa processing advice please

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
richbandit

RGBHa processing advice please

Post by richbandit »

Guys, I hope someone might be able to give me a little prod in the right direction here.

I've been successfully using Star Tools throughout the last 9 months or so, for processing standard LRGB images with mono cooled camera + filters, etc. - generally getting very good results. I suppose I'm still a beginner in the grand scheme of things, but I'm getting there slowly!

I'm now trying my hand at some NB but just can't seem to get my head around how best to integrate NB with LRGB (for example RGBHa?) in ST. I've searched the forum and can find a couple of 'nearly but not quite my situation' discussions, but nothing that clearly explains what I need to load in where, and what to do. There's probably an explanation on there somewhere, I just can't find it!

The 'Compose' module only lists the option of LRGB files to load of course, so I understand that for straight NB processing I guess I would need to load (e.g.) Ha as 'R', OIII as 'G' and SII as 'B' and then carry on processing from there? I also get it that I could then juxtapose these to provide different effects (SHO, HOS, HOO and so on …) - maybe I'll have a go at that sometime.

Anyway, what I'm currently trying to achieve is to simply combine Ha with the LRGB to bring out more nebulosity (currently on Veil Nebula) ….. should I process the LRGB files first in the 'Compose' module and save, then separately process the Ha and save that, then finally process the 2 resulting 'master files' together? As far as I can figure out, this seems like it would be the correct method but I'm not sure. Or is that not the case at all? :think:

Most grateful for any advice or guidance please! :thumbsup:

Many thanks, Richard
admin
Site Admin

Re: RGBHa processing advice please

Post by admin »

richbandit wrote: what I'm currently trying to achieve is to simply combine Ha with the LRGB to bring out more nebulosity
In that case you will want to make a synthetic luminance frame from a blend of L and Ha (you can use the Compose module or the Layer module for this). This will then become your 'new' L for importing into the Compose module.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
richbandit

Post by richbandit »

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for your confirmation - so this would then provide more luminance detail.

Would I therefore be correct that if I wanted to bring out more Ha as red then I'd similarly blend it with the red channel instead in that case, so producing a new (enhanced) R?

In other words, blending the NB with whichever broadband colour I choose would enhance that particular colour channel?

Many thanks,

Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

richbandit wrote:so this would then provide more luminance detail.
Would I therefore be correct that if I wanted to bring out more Ha as red then I'd similarly blend it with the red channel instead in that case, so producing a new (enhanced) R?
In other words, blending the NB with whichever broadband colour I choose would enhance that particular colour channel?
Spot-on on both accounts! :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
richbandit

Post by richbandit »

Hi Ivo,
Aha! My brain now understands!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Many thanks and keep up the amazing work. :thumbsup:

Richard