Wipe

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Ridgesoar

Wipe

Post by Ridgesoar »

I,m just getting back to StarTools and trying to learn but running into the same problem. In 1.3 everything goes well but now that I've downloaded 1.4 I find that not matter what I select when I get to wipe it gives me a large halo around my DSO and if I ask for vignetting it gets even worse. I use DSS with both "no" saving in both tif and fits . I've tried loading " " linear" and "Dslr" but makes no difference. I've done "autodev" and "dev" , tried binning and not. I've cropped and can find no other problems with the image.
happy-kat

Re: Wipe

Post by happy-kat »

Hi
Have you seen this tutorial that Ivo has provided, the bit on wipe is good as it covers masking out problem spots, maybe you have one in your data.
https://www.startools.org/links--tutorials
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Would you be able to post the image with halo(s)? (or even better - post the dataset?)

Thank you!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Ridgesoar

Post by Ridgesoar »

Nice of you to do this! By data set do you mean the stacked DSS image? Strange thing is that when I run it in 1.3 it work as advertised but the same thing in 1.4 gives me the halo. So it seems to me it's not my data.
I'll send everything soon as I figure out how to! John
Ridgesoar

Post by Ridgesoar »

I just re-downloaded 1.5 and seems to be doing fine. I'll get back if problem.

Last question please--- I'm shooting with a Nikon 310A with custom white balance in camera. All DSS stuff is turned off . "Linear"??
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep - stacked dataset, straight from DSS.
If you use the latest DSS beta, it should have an option to to turn whitebalancing off entirely. If you stack your frames tih this option, you can use the 2nd option when importing the dataset. Otherwise, it's the first.
The second option will separate luminance from color data (you will be seeing/processing a mono image until you hit the Color module).
Ivo Jager
Ridgesoar

Post by Ridgesoar »

Tanks. I'll look for the beta! John
Ridgesoar

Post by Ridgesoar »

final color elephant
final color elephant
color final-elephant.jpg (174.72 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
autodev elephant
autodev elephant
autodev elephant.jpg (237.41 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
IC-342 halo after wipe
IC-342 halo after wipe
Screenshot (90).jpg (279.3 KiB) Viewed 4879 times

hope you get this/ john

apparently my stacked files are too big to send but I'm sending a screenshot of my Halo problem after wiping IC-342. Am i overexposed (looked good at 1/4 histo)?

also sending a problem with the Elephant Neb. when I load in Linear and autodev I get a preview of good color but when I finally ask for color I get close to none. even if i ask just after autodev before i do anything
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi John,

You can share a link to the dataset after uploading it to Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or similar.

Something really odd is going on with the coloring in your image. The initial image has a severe red color cast and very uneven ligting. Did you apply your flats correctly?
Can you try without flats? What instrument did you use to acquire this?
Ivo Jager