Format for submitting image for processing tutoring

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
ML7087373

Format for submitting image for processing tutoring

Post by ML7087373 »

OK, I have some stacks of images. I have a new computer that won't choke on image processing. I have loaded an image into Google Drive and set it up for sharing with anyone that has the URL. I have worked in StarTools enough that I know enough to ask questions. What is the format for asking you experienced ST users to process the image and tell me how you did it so I can really start to learn this terrific tool?
Mike
gminder

Re: Format for submitting image for processing tutoring

Post by gminder »

I'll take a whack at it. I think a fits file works best. Can you provide image capture and pre-processing details?
ML7087373

Post by ML7087373 »

Sure, I have all the details. I just wondered if there is a specific format people use when submitting the information. IE object, camera, scope bortle scale, #frames, exposure, ISO......... Or is it just stick in as much a=info as possible and a link to a FITS file?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ML7087373 wrote:Sure, I have all the details. I just wondered if there is a specific format people use when submitting the information. IE object, camera, scope bortle scale, #frames, exposure, ISO......... Or is it just stick in as much a=info as possible and a link to a FITS file?
As much info as possible is always good.
For example, exposure times help with creating synthetic luminance frames (as we make a blend based on individual exposures for the different channels), while camera (DSLR, CCD, mono/colour), optical train details (LP filter, coma corrector) and misc. acquisition details (dithering, wind, seeing conditions) will help inform processing decisions, may highlight issues that could be corrected in the future, or may explain one-off issues that won't have a bearing on future efforts.

In the end, it's up to you though if you don't have/know/remember these details - we'll still do our best! :thumbsup: Sometimes you only learn about an issue by looking at the data to begin with.

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast