Star Halo artifacts

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
ML7087373

Star Halo artifacts

Post by ML7087373 »

The attached image shows an enlarged look at the stars in an image I'm processing with StarTools. You can see halos around the stars. I'm confident that the image is well focused, I capture images on a 60Da with BYE and use the FWHM function to focus. The focus was good. I stacked this image in DSS, then did another stack taken from a different camera mounted piggyback, Both images showed these rings. This makes me believe these artifacts are processing related. Does anyone know what these artifacts are, and how can I remove them with StarTools? Better yet, how do I avoid them in the future?
Star Halos.jpg
Star Halos.jpg (23.33 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Cheman

Re: Star Halo artifacts

Post by Cheman »

If you are sure focus is good, try stacking in another program to see if DSS is doing something funny.
Che
lensman57

Post by lensman57 »

Hi,

Try and disable the hot pixel cleaning function in cosmetic section of DSS and see what happenes. This used to happen a lot certain of my captures, it may work for you.

A.G
ML7087373

Post by ML7087373 »

lensman57 wrote:Hi,

Try and disable the hot pixel cleaning function in cosmetic section of DSS and see what happenes. This used to happen a lot certain of my captures, it may work for you.

A.G
Thank you, I'll try that.