M42 and M31question

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
torsinadoc

Re: M42 and M31question

Post by torsinadoc »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1w8Ns ... sp=sharing

Another question unrelated to this one. If I am using LRGB files, do you select linear, not bayed? I am working on the M45 processing tutorial but it appears when we turn on tracking after preprocessing that the older version of ST (I assume that is the reason) it would ask for a different category (stretched i think).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Many thanks! Will report back on this.
Another question unrelated to this one. If I am using LRGB files, do you select linear, not bayed? I am working on the M45 processing tutorial but it appears when we turn on tracking after preprocessing that the older version of ST (I assume that is the reason) it would ask for a different category (stretched i think).
Yes, you select 'linear not bayered' (a bayer matrix is something only OSCs or DSLRs have). The older version of StarTools did not discern between data from a bayered source and data from a non-bayered source. StarTools 1.3.5 and up uses this knowledge to establish a slightly higher effectiveness of its Tracking feature (and hence noise reduction precision) for DSLR/OSC data.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
torsinadoc

Post by torsinadoc »

Thanks. That clarifies things
torsinadoc

Post by torsinadoc »

Ok. Im not sure what I did differently to avoid that odd wipe. This was about as good as I could get that data. More importantly i learned all sorts processing information

version 1

version 2

I think this was around 60 15 s unguided exposures with calibration files

It will be nice when I collect low noise better quality data