DSLR Linearity

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: DSLR Linearity

Post by admin »

e.ventura wrote:I know this is an old(ish) thread, but doesn't DSS have a couple of checkboxes on the "RAW/FITS DDP configuratioon" window for NOT applying any whitebalance? Does it nevertheless apply whitebalance and we should always choose the "whitebalanced" option in StarTools?
That's indeed the case; we can't tell DSS not to whitebalance the data, as far as I know. Maybe someone can put in a feature request with Luc (creator of DSS)? It's a very easy thing for him to add!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
e.ventura

Post by e.ventura »

admin wrote:That's indeed the case; we can't tell DSS not to whitebalance the data, as far as I know. Maybe someone can put in a feature request with Luc (creator of DSS)? It's a very easy thing for him to add!
Hey, I'll definitelly try to reach Luc, then... I'll try and report back with some news... Perhaps if more people ask the same thing... Nudge nudge... ;)
dundizzle

Post by dundizzle »

e.ventura wrote:
admin wrote:That's indeed the case; we can't tell DSS not to whitebalance the data, as far as I know. Maybe someone can put in a feature request with Luc (creator of DSS)? It's a very easy thing for him to add!
Hey, I'll definitelly try to reach Luc, then... I'll try and report back with some news... Perhaps if more people ask the same thing... Nudge nudge... ;)
Keep us updated!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

e.ventura wrote: Hey, I'll definitelly try to reach Luc, then..
Knowing that DSS uses dcraw internally, it's as easy as adding "-r 1 1 1 1" when performing the debayering.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
e.ventura

Post by e.ventura »

admin wrote: Knowing that DSS uses dcraw internally, it's as easy as adding "-r 1 1 1 1" when performing the debayering.
Ha!!! Is that it?

It's funny though I'm actually busting my derriere trying to get my point across over at their Yahoo support Group, because I couldn't find Luc's e-mail, but I keep getting the answer "you actually have to white balance the image afterwards" when all I'm asking is "does DSS aply white balance camera settings when stacking the image"? Am I not explaining myself accuratelly? I know English is not my mother tongue but I thought I was being explicit enough... :)

Ok, now that I got a few things off my chest... I'll continue over at the Yahoo Groups... ;) Cheers...

PS: I'm going to try and use the dcraw attribute argument thingy and see how it goes... ;)
redarmy27

Post by redarmy27 »

I know how that goes; you can shout at them all you want and they may not ever actually "hear" you.

I've told them before that DSS will struggle with some RAW files introduced by newer cameras, but they always pointed at me "leaving drizzle on". I got fed up and did my own research and realized DSS was messing up due to the sheer size of my image (NEF) files.

My D7100 (24 MP) takes 6,000 x 4,000 sized NEF files. The other guy in the group using a similar Nikon shoots at roughly 21 MP at about 80% of the file sizes my camera creates. Once I converted the files to TIF and resized them to about 85% of their sizes, DSS magically worked.

Oh well!

Jake
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Lets not forget that DSS is freeware. Costs us nothing, and for the most part, works very well. that said, It would be nice to hear from Luc on this matter, to verify what goes on in the inards of DSS.
Just my :twocents-twocents:
e.ventura

Post by e.ventura »

Cheman wrote:Lets not forget that DSS is freeware. Costs us nothing, and for the most part, works very well. that said, It would be nice to hear from Luc on this matter, to verify what goes on in the inards of DSS.
Just my :twocents-twocents:
Cheman, don't get me wrong... It's not my intention to rant over DSS or the man hours Luc spends on this awesome software... The only thing I was "complaining" about was that I asked if anyone knew if DSS was in fact aplying the camera's WB settings, but users keep telling me that I need to White balance the image after stacking. Well I know that... :) I think that DSS is a godsend so, no bickering over DSS here... ;)

The Yahoo Group was the only way I could figure out in order to tray and reach Luc (there's no e-mail anywhere to be found), so thought if I could manage to reach Luc via Yahoo Groups... If anyone has his e-mail address I'd like to drop him a line about this issue.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

I dont know if Luc is the owner of the group or not, but the owners addy is deepskystacker-owner@yahoogroups.com
and thanks for your efforts in trying to get an answer. I think you stated your questions well, but then, I already knew what you were asking :lol:
Che