Narrowband Image & Wipe Not Quite

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
KD0NPT-Astro

Narrowband Image & Wipe Not Quite

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

I've been working with this narrowband image for a few days and cannot quite get "wipe" to normalize the background. I still need to work on the color some more of the stars but there appears to be green, blue, and black artifacts in the background when pushing up gamma and brightness.

Not sure if this is just something that has to be accepted when working with false color but if I am overlooking a process would appreciate input to correct this. I have attached my .log file, just rename the .zip to .log. Overall I am mostly happy with the image but the background seems to have issues.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Attachments
StarTools-IC1848.zip
(15.57 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
ic1848-hos-a.jpg
ic1848-hos-a.jpg (275.43 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Narrowband Image & Wipe Not Quite

Post by admin »

Hmmmm.... I think I'd have to have a look at the actual data to see what's causing that severe gradient. Have you tried bumping up the aggressiveness parameter in the Wipe module? Can you confirm there are no stacking artifacts left in the image or any conspicuous dark anomalies? (also see here)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
KD0NPT-Astro

Re: Narrowband Image & Wipe Not Quite

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

Thanks Ivo, I will review that again and hopefully make a discovery. Got sidetracked trying to troubleshoot my M31 which turns out decent but I end up with rainbow discoloration in some of the stars.