Luminance Adjustment

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
astronomynut

Luminance Adjustment

Post by astronomynut »

I use Canon 600D and 7D mkII DSLR's. I've had problems with some of my photos having the very bright stars with red rings around them. I was told that my luminance part of the photo is sending my histogram peak off the chart. In other words, the peak has punched through the top of the histogram box, instead of staying inside it. This is only a recent occurrence, which seems to have started when I started putting hours of exposure time into an object, instead of just an hour or so.

I was told that I needed to adjust the luminance to rid myself of this problem, but haven't a clue as to which module does the luminance control, and inside that module, which sliders or buttons you need to manipulate to make that adjustment.

I really do not know if it is luminance, but the histogram is peaking well above where it should. I need help so I can remedy the problem. I hope all of what I said makes some sense. I am basically trying to describe something I really have no clue about. Caley
Hondo

Re: Luminance Adjustment

Post by Hondo »

Hi Caley. I do not think there is a way to adjust the luminance the way you are suggesting. Those rings are coming from something else, not a blown out histogram. I would wager that it is coming from the stacking process, most likely with your calibration frames. Have you tried stacking just the lights and processing that way?
Scott
CEM60, ES 102ED with Motorized MoonLite Focuser, Mallincam VRC-8 Ritchey-Chrétien with CCDT67, Atik 383L+ Mono with EFW2 FW, Baader 36 mm NB and LRGB Filters, RV-6 Dynascope, a very understanding and loving wife, and a Roll Off Roof Observatory