Saturated Star Core Dark Anomalies

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
davidjbillo

Re: Saturated Star Core Dark Anomalies

Post by davidjbillo »

Oh, yeah, you guys are pulling more of the disk out! That looks fantastic! I think I deliberately held back in Develop because I was not able to get a good Wipe. But then I went up to 600% with the Sharp module.

Yet you're not having the problem with the star core dark anomalies that I encountered...I wonder what is happening there. I see you cropped another pixel more. I think I will upgrade to the latest release and try some more.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Hi david
I always crop a couple of pixels, just to be sure ;) as far as the star cores, it might be introduced in decon or the agressive sharpening setting :confusion-shrug: see if you can determine what step is causing that. Are they there before wipe? I also see you did not bin. My camera is 8 megpixel. I usually bin at 75%, your image is much bigger than my images, so I binned at 35% beause my computer is not the fastest. dont know if that has anything to do with it :think: I think Ivo has been pretty busy lately, but maybe he will have time to enlighten us on what might be the cause.
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Hey David
I'm always curious as to details about data aquisition. How many subs were used, exposure time, camera, mount etc.
could you post that info?
Che
davidjbillo

Post by davidjbillo »

I originally started this thread because the dark anomalies were showing up at the very beginning, with the first AutoDevelop, and it was throwing off Wipe. I got around it by Wipe for colour only, not brightness. While I was waiting for replies, I just forged ahead to see what I could learn.

Yeah, I know I should bin my data, but currently that is against my religion! :twisted:
But seriously, I was planning to start binning, but I wanted to compare the StarTools result with what I get from DSS on this image, so I left it unbinned. My computer is also marginal for running StarTools, (E8400 C2D, 8G ram) and in fact I had one crash during the process and had to start over. In general, my seeing and focus don't really justify not binning.

The image is from Canon T3i on 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph, a stack of 21 exposures, 4 minutes @ 800 ISO, plus darks and flats. NEQ6 mount.
davidjbillo

Post by davidjbillo »

So I just updated to .289, and started off as before, crop 1 pixel all around, Wipe, and....no more dark anomalies!
Whatever was the cause, it's fixed now. :thumbsup:
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

Im running 1.4.297
glad you got better results
Che