which option ?

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Burly

which option ?

Post by Burly »

probably been asked before,when startools starts it asks has image been white balanced debayered etc and you have the options at bottom of page , which should i choose having stacked in deepspace stacker havent adjusted anything just saved as a fit file at end of processing

cheers dave
admin
Site Admin

Re: which option ?

Post by admin »

DSS unfortunately insists on color balancing your data, so assuming you've got some DSLR data that you have stacked with DSS, choose option #1.
Option #2 is also for data from a bayered source (e.g. with 2x more green pixels than red or blue), but for data that has not been color balanced in any way (for example as produced by PixInsight). ST can take into account the higher amount of samples/fidelity in the green channel, allowing it to achieve slightly better noise suppression across modules.

The color balancing will have modified the red, green and blue ratios, causing inter-channel noise levels to radically differ. This hampers ST's ability to perform noise mitigation somewhat. It's not the end of the world though...

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Burly

Post by Burly »

Thanks ivo :bow-yellow:
Arrowstar

Post by Arrowstar »

admin wrote:DSS unfortunately insists on color balancing your data, so assuming you've got some DSLR data that you have stacked with DSS, choose option #1.
Option #2 is also for data from a bayered source (e.g. with 2x more green pixels than red or blue), but for data that has not been color balanced in any way (for example as produced by PixInsight). ST can take into account the higher amount of samples/fidelity in the green channel, allowing it to achieve slightly better noise suppression across modules.

The color balancing will have modified the red, green and blue ratios, causing inter-channel noise levels to radically differ. This hampers ST's ability to perform noise mitigation somewhat. It's not the end of the world though...

Hope this helps!
So it sounds like if we're using a DSLR camera like my Canon T3 and we're not doing anything in DSS except stacking and outputting the stacked result straight away, we select option 1 "Linear was not Bayered or is whitebalanced"? Is that correct? I suppose this confuses me because I thought DSLR data was naturally bayered?

Can you go into this a bit more? Thanks! :)
Arrowstar
Burly

Post by Burly »

Just a note you have to go into the fits settings in DSS and set the Bayer matrix to what is relevant to your camera from the drop down list,if you haven't done so.
Arrowstar

Post by Arrowstar »

Burly wrote:Just a note you have to go into the fits settings in DSS and set the Bayer matrix to what is relevant to your camera from the drop down list,if you haven't done so.
Does this apply if we're passing DSS Canon CR2 RAW files? (As opposed to FITS files.)
Arrowstar
Burly

Post by Burly »

Yes this is settings used so it knows what camera Bayer matrix to use on your cr2 file which is determined by camera model once DSS has stacked final image then you save as a fits file hope that helps