Getting the colour right

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
Arrowstar

Re: Getting the colour right

Post by Arrowstar »

admin wrote:If using DeepSkyStacker, have a read here for the correct settings and a quick-start workflow.
Out of curiosity, is hot pixel detection and removal in the DSS dark frame settings permissible? I understand not wanting to do any sort of calibration, but I'm still working out how "virgin" the data out of DSS needs to be. Insight appreciated. :)
Arrowstar
Burly

Post by Burly »

I tick hot pixel removal as that's the purpose of calibration subs to highlight errors that aren't real data ,
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Now you're cooking Burly! :thumbsup:

By the looks of it, you got a good handle on the processing part - everything is pretty much up to your own personal taste from here...
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Arrowstar wrote:I'm still working out how "virgin" the data out of DSS needs to be. Insight appreciated. :)
"virgin" in this instance means; no noise reduction, no sharpening, no color balancing, (and especially) no stretching. Basically anything that is considered 'post-processing'. Rule of thumb is; if you would find it in, for example, PhotoShop, it should not have been applied (yet).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Burly

Post by Burly »

Thanks ivo your helps invaluable :bow-yellow: ,starting to get my head round it a bit better now ,