mask use in LIFE module

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
BABO

mask use in LIFE module

Post by BABO »

Perhaps I'm doing some wrong. I want to use a mask in the LIFE module. But it doesn't seem to work.

I have no problem using the mask when doing CONTRAST or COLOR. But LIFE seems to work on the whole image no matter what mask is in place.

BABO
almcl

Re: mask use in LIFE module

Post by almcl »

I am no expert but here's a quick demo from last night's work (not one of my better imaging sessions, I am afraid).
Here's the image before using the life module,
new-1.jpg
new-1.jpg (119.35 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
then the mask used to isolate the galaxies,
new-2.jpg
new-2.jpg (119.59 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
and finally the appearance after using the Isolate pre-set (Shroud would produce similar results):
new-3.jpg
new-3.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Some o the other pre-sets are more subtle but the mask should work.
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2
BABO

Post by BABO »

As far as I can tell, the LIFE module worked on the whole image in the example you sent me.

Check carefully and I think you will notice. Maybe I'm wrong. I would have to be able to zoom you before and after images to be sure.

Thanks all the same,
BABO
almcl

Post by almcl »

I see where you're coming from, but I think the galaxies are largely unaltered.

The Isolate option (which was what I used here) is intended to "lift objects (such as DSOs) from very noisy data", to quote the help topic. I take this to mean it will darken the background but leave the masked object alone. Granted this seems opposite to the way it works in Decon or Sharp, but I can see the sense of it.

Hopefully, Ivo may stop by to correct any misunderstanding there?
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2
BABO

Post by BABO »

Now that is an interesting possibility. Had not considered it. I'll try. Thanks very much for your comment.

BABO