workflow help

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
wildwooly

workflow help

Post by wildwooly »

Hi guys I am just about to buy startools (love it but aint got a clue). Anyway my normal route is to use Maxim for my subs, then calibrate stack them in maxim before moving on to photoshop, I have also used DSS but if i put them in there to stack then they come out mono ( Im guessing this is because I havnt converted to colour in maxim. So my question is startools asks to do nothing at all to the subs so should I just stack them in maxim only or do I convert to colour? also if I dont have to colour convert can I go ahead and stack them in DSS then move on to startools? just a bit confused on whether to add colour now or not, I,m using a starlight sxv one shot colour
cheers guys
billdan

Re: workflow help

Post by billdan »

Hi Wildwooley,

I am a new user, but I can tell you that startools prefers you debayer your subs (i.e turn the subs into colour) when stacking and if Maxim has the option untick white balance and let startools do the white balance. Then the stacked FIT or TIF file can be passed onto startools.

Cheers
Bill
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

From a search on here.
When you do the color combine inMaxim, make sure that 'Bgd Auto Equalize' is unchecked and that The Input/Output matrix shows all ones (1). This should keep the data as virgin as possible.

If you don't do above you'll get b/w image I gather.
Also in DSS use the autosaved FITS file. The autosave TIFF is compressed.
wildwooly

Post by wildwooly »

Hi guys and thanks for the replies, I think thats where I went wrong I never unchecked the tick box, I wish I could put this into practice but as usual the clouds have rolled in yet again. I will have to look at the autosave in DSS as so far I havnt been able to open them with startools, ( perhaps I have ticked or unticked something but i will look at it and find out). In the meantime I took a shot of the whirlpool using my DSLR and I am blown away by what I can get out of it using startools. If i use auto dev then I cant get it but what I have found is doing it manual then wipe then repeat about 4 maybe 5 times everytime stretching that little bit further. ( it works for me with my limited knowledge ) and then go on to HDR, contrast etc.
Cheers guys