NGC3576 Stars

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
billdan

NGC3576 Stars

Post by billdan »

Hi all,

I have been using startools for 4 weeks and I really love it, and I found I am making better images than before using the traditional histogram stretch and saturation.

I have attached a crop of a region of NGC3576 to show the stars and I am curious if there is a module to complete the colour of the stars.

You will notice e.g. the blue stars are blue on one side of the airy disk and missing on the other side. I should point out these were 15min subs and most likely the stars are all saturated and it is a credit to startools that it found some colour in the stars. In my efforts with Astroart v5 just about all the stars are white using traditional stretching methods.

I have not yet tried the Repair, Synth or Magic modules, so I was curious will any of these modules be any benefit to me for this situation.

Cheers
Bill
Attachments
NGC3576 25x900 crop.jpg
NGC3576 25x900 crop.jpg (202.18 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: NGC3576 Stars

Post by admin »

Hi Bill,

Great to hear ST is performing to satisfaction!

The blue fringing on one side may indicate a slight alignment error during stacking.

Using the Lens module and shifting the blue (as well as the red a tiny bit), the result seems somewhat better aligned which lends weight to that theory;
NGC3576 25x900 crop.jpg
NGC3576 25x900 crop.jpg (193.06 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
billdan

Re: NGC3576 Stars

Post by billdan »

Thanks for your help Ivo, I will have a play with Lens and see what I can do.

I do seem some improvement in your sample. So I'll see if I can do the same.

I wonder would slightly out of collimation also cause this?
Thanks
Bill

EDIT: I had a go last night and yes it works well, surprised by how much I had to shift the blue pixels though, something like 30 pixels to the left.
Bill