IC 5070 help

Questions and answers about processing in StarTools and how to accomplish certain tasks.
roblanedude

IC 5070 help

Post by roblanedude »

I have never tried imaging this target, and this is the first time I've incorporated flats. It was two days before a full moon and I didn't use any sort of filter. I made t-shirt flats at home afterwards. I have had little success getting anything from this data, but I wondered if perhaps someone else could? I don't know if it's my ineptitude with StarTools or my ineptitude with imaging that's the problem and I'd like to narrow that down :)

Here's the stacked image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6VXN ... E9LaXFta0k

Thanks,
Rob
almcl

Re: IC 5070 help

Post by almcl »

Well, I think the Pelican is there, see attached processed version of your image. There's not a great deal of red in the image, what camera, scope &c are you using? (I'm guessing DSLR, not astro modded?)
ic5070.jpg
ic5070.jpg (294.83 KiB) Viewed 3727 times
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2
roblanedude

Post by roblanedude »

I'm using a Canon T5 Rebel, a C8, with a .63 reducer/correcter in the middle. The image was taken in a yellow zone, and I've recently ordered a light pollution filter. I hope that the filter will eliminate any nearby light from civilization, as well as any moonlight.

You turned out a way better product in processing than I did. What are your suggestions?
almcl

Post by almcl »

There's quite a bit of artefact there, not sure what's causing it - might be stacking or something else, but a fairly large crop was required. There's some odd shaped stars in the top left of the image (sorry, away from home at the moment so can't post an image) - is the camera absolutely square (no tilt)?

Try imaging again at the dark of the moon. Also consider the 'astro mod' - my T5i has the Baader filter in place of the camera's infra red one and this does make a difference to the amount of H alpha (which is what the Pelican largely emits) and hence the red part of the image. If that's not an option, then more data, maybe longer subs?
Skywatcher 190MN, ASI 2600 or astro modded Canon 700d, guided by OAG, ASI120, PHD2