Ghost Nebula and the Witch

User images created with StarTools.
saublestarman

Ghost Nebula and the Witch

Post by saublestarman »

On Sept 28th, 2019 I acquired 4 hours of data of the Ghost Nebula. A total of 29 photos. Each photo was a 500 second exposure at ISO200 using a Celestron 8" EdgeHD @ F10. My Nikon D5300 is Ha modified. The mount was a Celestron CGEM. Image calibration was done with master Flats, Bias and Darks. Stacked using DSS and digitally developed using Startools. Half way thru the session I had to perform a Meridian flip. Only minor cropping of the raw image was required.

I did a quick search of the web and didn't see any images with the Nebula oriented in same way as mine. What I found amusing is that if you imagine that the glowing yellow nebulosity is actually a very crooked nose you can immediately see the classic profile of a witch.

Happy Halloween!

Peter
Attachments
The Ghost and the Witch
The Ghost and the Witch
Ghost Nebula2.jpg (494.03 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Ghost Nebula and the Witch

Post by admin »

Spooky indeed! :angry-devil: Happy halloween!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Burly

Re: Ghost Nebula and the Witch

Post by Burly »

Nice image interesting that your using a Nikon D5300 which is same camera I have just acquired unmodded , I see your using iso 200 which seems to be the suggested iso for the D5300 something I have only just found out after Ivo put link up in a thread on sgl article here http://dslr-astrophotography.com/iso-va ... n-cameras/ looking forward to first light with Nikon if uk gets a break in the weather.