Messier 1 - Crab Nebula

User images created with StarTools.
emarko

Messier 1 - Crab Nebula

Post by emarko »

Messier 1 - Crab Nebula (Taurus) under 80% Moon

70 x 120sec + darks,

SC 8" + Starizona 0,63x reducer + Optolong L-eNhance filter + ASI294MC Pro on AZEQ6 Pro Mount

AsiAir, StarTools, AstraImage

Photo: Emersic Marko, 7/8.dec 2019
Attachments
M1STAI.jpeg
M1STAI.jpeg (208.39 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Last edited by emarko on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burly

Re: Messier 1 - Crab Nebula

Post by Burly »

Very nice well done .
emarko

Post by emarko »

Thank you Burly ......
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That looks excellent, however you should be able to tease out a fair bit of detail yet using the Decon module.
Be sure to try the 1.6 beta for improved de-ringing control if you do.

Using deconvolution outside of StarTools will usually yield worse or incorrect results; StarTools can do a better job as it knows how your image was stretched (Tracking) and knows how noise grain evolved so it can suppress artifacts. Applying deconvolution after stretching and post-processing will yield incorrect results in all applications; for deconvolution to work correctly, the input has to be linear (an application like AstraImage can only undo a simple sRGB stretch if told to do so, any other type of processing or stretching is unknown/irreversible). If you really wish to use deconvolution before using StarTools, make sure to apply it to the linear data, before importing that linear data into StarTools.

Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
emarko

Post by emarko »

Thanks for your kind words.
StarTools is very powerful software, I am very happy to use it, in this case I processed linear photography in StarTools (almost all modules except artificial spikes), I used AstraImage exclusively for cosmetic corrections on already finished processing in StarTools. StarTools is still the first program to process my linear data. AstraImage has a very strong micro contrast module and this one has been used.
I've had a StarTools license for a couple of years now, I see I'll have to upgrade it because it has some new features.
Is there a possibility in the future that StarTools can do stacking?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

emarko wrote:Thanks for your kind words.
StarTools is very powerful software, I am very happy to use it, in this case I processed linear photography in StarTools (almost all modules except artificial spikes), I used AstraImage exclusively for cosmetic corrections on already finished processing in StarTools. StarTools is still the first program to process my linear data. AstraImage has a very strong micro contrast module and this one has been used.
That's good to hear! I still see so many people on the various astrophotography forums - typically with a Photoshop background - who don't understand deconvolution (it's not just a sharpening filter!) and/or why it needs to be applied to linear data. It doesn't help this important fact is buried on the AstraImage website for some reason. :confusion-shrug:
I've had a StarTools license for a couple of years now, I see I'll have to upgrade it because it has some new features.
Even if your current update entitlements have expired, feel free to try the new version with your current license for as long as you think is fair - it will be fully functional.
Is there a possibility in the future that StarTools can do stacking?
Given that there are many free stacking solutions out there already, I decided a while ago that development efforts are best focused on new post-processing functions and algorithms. I am still researching using calibration frames during post-processing however (but not as part of a stacking solution). I hope that makes sense.

Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
emarko

Post by emarko »

I'm not a photoshop guy, so StarTools was a great opportunity for me to start from scratch, and I'm not disappointed, what's more, I'm excited about using it. I look at other guys who use Photoshop and are not so successful ........ And StarTools is a specific and targeted program just for my needs.
As for the new StarTools version, I understand if I buy the Renewal option, I get the option to update, right? The game needs to be played fairly, so I decided to get the Renewal option, but to be honest, I also couldn't find the activation code .......