Tulip SH2-101

User images created with StarTools.
fmeireso

Tulip SH2-101

Post by fmeireso »

Very cropped image of the Tulip. Taken with an Askar FRA 500 , mono dslr and color dslr..;total just over 6 hours of integration.

Not that much thrilled with the image, but it is something. An object i did not knew at the time i was visual observer

Took back a little of saturation.

thouhts always welcome
TulipCroppedGimp (Large).jpg
TulipCroppedGimp (Large).jpg (398.18 KiB) Viewed 28004 times
dx_ron

Re: Tulip SH2-101

Post by dx_ron »

Yeah, the Tulip is tougher than I expected. I shot ~8 hours with my Z61 / QHY183c in 2021 and was never happy with it. Too noisy, it needed quite a lot more time.
Tulip_Z61_183c_120x240s.jpg
Tulip_Z61_183c_120x240s.jpg (679.79 KiB) Viewed 27992 times
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Yeah, i agree, my 'wide field' shot is too noisy too...which is why here i posted a cropped version which looks somehow better..

But i don't have much integration time...weather is just not cooperating.

I don't think i will continue with it.Instead i will put my dedication in my new astro cam. I finaly bought one... I am a mono lover but i bought an color version anyhow, Mono just takes alot of time and in Belgium we don't have much time cause it is clouldy all the time...

I just wonder what i will get...

CS
Freddy
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hey great to hear, Freddy! Which camera?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :D

From an acquisition standpoint (and thus your clear sky percentage), if you have an EFW then using the mono really doesn't take more time, as you are generally getting more efficient and cleaner data at full resolution.

Storage, organization, and processing of all those mono files though, can possibly take more time, but that can all be done during clouds! It's fairly trivial and automated though to get all star-aligned masters if you set up NINA to use a certain naming convention for the session folders, and then just toss them all into WBPP which pretty much figures it all out on its own - once you've done it once or twice.
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Mike in Rancho wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:25 pm Hey great to hear, Freddy! Which camera?

Thisone Mike

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... -3-mm.html.

Strange thing : it has zero documentation :D but i will figure it out. Connecting in APT seemed no problem, it connects natively...

It is alot cheaper then the ZWO counterpart and according to users it should work well. It is totally new for me though. Never used a astro cam..i am so used to DSLR.
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

fmeireso wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:09 pm
Thisone Mike

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... -3-mm.html.

Strange thing : it has zero documentation :D but i will figure it out. Connecting in APT seemed no problem, it connects natively...

It is alot cheaper then the ZWO counterpart and according to users it should work well. It is totally new for me though. Never used a astro cam..i am so used to DSLR.
Should be lots of fun Freddy, congrats on a 571 camera! Though I still might have gone with mono, especially since as you say, you have a bit of an affinity for mono usage. WBPP makes it a piece of cake too.

But, plenty of 571 users here, from ZWO to the alternatives. Just a matter of learning the driver and acquisition settings and what the best gain and offset are. There are usually just a couple that end up used. I actually just stick with one for everything - gain 0 offset 30. The numbers will probably be different with the Touptek and it may have different modes open that a ZWO doesn't.

I saw the thread on CN. Myself, I would go ahead and take sets of bias (50 ought to be good enough) and then the same with darks at a few different exposures, all at the same gains and offsets you intend to use. You'll have to test with your scope what exposures you will likely use the most. For mine I stick with 30 or 60 seconds LRGB, and 300 seconds narrowband, so those are the darks I made. Although for the 300 seconds I only took 30, since that takes a while to do. You can sometimes get away with just bias for both lights and flats, but it's so easy to make a darks library why run the risk of hot pixels? Once WBPP has created masters of the bias and darks, you can stash those away in a folder and just load those into WBPP each time, they don't need to be recombined for every stack.

Once the camera has settled in, maybe in 6 months or so, it might be a good idea to make new sets of bias and darks. It was around that time I noticed some hot pixels sneaking in, so my darks were too out of date. That second set has been good for like a year now.
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Thanks Mike,

Well, i gave the mono some thoughts. But since i own a mono DSLR i am thinking i still can combine the color shots of the touptek with mono shots...
And as said a mono might take more time to produce images imho. Taking L and R G B, guess that means about 4 sessions. And since clear nights over here are rare....well , so i went for the color version....
decay

Post by decay »

Hi Freddy, congratulations to your new cam :) I'm looking forward to see your first images.
fmeireso wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:33 pm And as said a mono might take more time to produce images imho. Taking L and R G B, guess that means about 4 sessions. And since clear nights over here are rare....well , so i went for the color version....
I'm sure, Mike is right in principle that mono does not take more time in general. But I too think here at our locations with such limited observation times OSC cams may be better suited. Sometimes it's impossible to get a second clear night for one object and with mono you would have to wait a whole year. Life's to short ;-)

Best regards, Dietmar.
decay

Post by decay »

P.S.: Oh, I was lurking on CN and I just realized that you are member since 2003 ?! :thumbsup: :bow-yellow: Such a long time ...
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

decay wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:35 pm P.S.: Oh, I was lurking on CN and I just realized that you are member since 2003 ?! :thumbsup: :bow-yellow: Such a long time ...
Yes, i am really an old dud; But most of that time i was a plain visual observer...with a big Obsession 18", those were the days... :thumbsup: