IC 1396 after several attempts capturing

User images created with StarTools.
fmeireso

IC 1396 after several attempts capturing

Post by fmeireso »

Hi all,

More then 5 hours OSC color and of 7 hours of an L-enhance stack...all with the new astro cam...don't know if my processing makes sense but it came out rather well, allthough it has it shortcomings...
I use the duo band stack as luminance, instead of a mono ha stack. For the ha stack i did not have enough data and it was very noisy
Used a full first Touptek color astrocam picture. Gain 100, offset 75,subs of 3 minutes, taken in a small 61 mm EDPH from Sharpstar. Cooling on -5°C
I don't have much starcolor but i think the stars look rather good except for the big orange on. Pinkish/red for the nebula is something i assume one can expect, since i saw more then one on the internet.
Once evening fully lost cause of dewforming on the window of the astrocam (UV/IR filter actually). So from now on i use an extra small dewheater and the warming full open ..i have learned a lesson...
SHO/HSO are more appeling colorwise imho, but can't do that (yet)

Comment and advice always welcome
TrunkGimp5 (Large).jpg
TrunkGimp5 (Large).jpg (531.74 KiB) Viewed 15142 times
Stefan B

Re: IC 1396 after several attempts capturing

Post by Stefan B »

Hi Freddy,

I think that looks very promising for a first light. Lots of nebulosity and you have a lot of (good) star color IMHO. Have you tried HDR? It would maybe help to carve out the trunk a bit more. And did you also give NBAccent with the duo NB a shot? You have lots of broadband as a basis so it might be worth a try. I think NBAccent gives a great blend of duo NB and broadband.

Regards
Stefan
Mike in Rancho

Post by Mike in Rancho »

Hey Freddy. I agree with Stefan, a very nice first start, and some good detail of dust regions against the nebula.

Using NB as L is going to cause potential color issues, just the way it is. But if you are keeping to a visual spectrum representation, most Ha would come out Balmer purple/pink anyway, perhaps.

With so much BB, I too would probably experiment with a normal workflow (and thus normal star colors) plus NB accent. Depending on the quality of the OIII captured by the duoband, you could either include that or exclude it by selecting it to only be for Ha. Or use the band slider in NB Accent.

This would permit choosing the pure red option for the blending of NB with BB, and you could see how that looks.

As it stands, I actually kind of like the bright orange star, other than it seems to have a fairly large bleed-over region around it. Hmm. :confusion-shrug:

It's the number 2 orange star that I think may have some ringing issues. And scanning the image further, a number of other stars may present this also. So you might try jiggering the various deringing controls in SVD to try to suppress that, or go in afterwards with a no-shrink-shrink (just use deringing pixels and, if you want, zero out the color tame) on a custom star mask. But this has all been discussed in the big beta thread. Some datasets - and to me it seems refractors might be more prone - are going to need more star help/clean up coming out of SVD.

I don't know if I would go stronger with HDR here. I can already see a nice amount of dusty against the brighter nebula regions, and more HDR might "fracture" it too much. :think:
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Thanks for the replies.

The Nbaccent just did not produce a great image..Tried it and it came not out that well.
HDR, strangely on this objects was pretty an absolete matter , which almost never is the case.It just did not work out.HDR on most other stacks i made did a tremenduous job

dunno, some testing to do. Guess something to use as L just about always does the thrick.. But indeed color can be an issue..

As for the image, i kinda like it, although the color is a bit soso, but it has quite some detail.

I just have to experiment further, what i did notice though that the images are cleaner, due to the cooling less noise slips in, that is a benefit
Stefan B

Post by Stefan B »

Interesting that HDR didn't have an effect if I understood correctly. There certainly are objects which don't benefit from HDR but I wouldn't have considered this nebula to be one of them :think:

L with NB data and RGB with broadband can indeed be a bit tricky since the both don't necessarily match nicely (as with your Cassiopeia ghosts, Freddy), but this came out good in my eyes. I also like the color although you appear to be not so happy with it. I like the pink nebula with the orange star.

Glad to hear that you see less noise. Better should be, one has to be a significant amount of money for it ;)

Regards
Stefan
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Stefan B wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:41 pm Interesting that HDR didn't have an effect if I understood correctly. There certainly are objects which don't benefit from HDR but I wouldn't have considered this nebula to be one of them :think:

Well, it has effect, don't get me wrong, but not that much and it does not look any better ..kinda strange. Normally HDR almost always produces a better image after applying it with some settings but in this case..hardly advantage.

The color , well, i can live with it :D
dx_ron

Post by dx_ron »

I always get the 'bright orange star' as both bright orange and with 'bleed-through" as well. Which is interesting because it's name is the Garnet Star and its color index is something like +2.5, both of which suggest it should be deep red. It is annoyingly bright at mag 4, though nothing like Alnitak.
fmeireso

Post by fmeireso »

Still another attempt, i lost count...on how many trials i did allready...

NB accent approach this time.I did not use Balmer red but Balmer/purple but saturated it afterwards. It came all out better then my first NB accent attempt. I kinda like it too...my stars could still be better but not too much halo' s are seen well perhaps on the bright orange guy again.

i played also a dirty thrick, i hope Ivo will not revoke my ST licence for it :D I used Morphological Transformation in PI, used with a starmask. Used with care it can smoothens out the stars a bit. They came out pretty bright in ST, used shrink too with 0 iterations but cutted back the halo's.

Don't know, what do you all think?
TrunkGimp4PI (Large).jpg
TrunkGimp4PI (Large).jpg (324.55 KiB) Viewed 14931 times