NGC 6888 Crescent HOO - ancient 2022 data

User images created with StarTools.
Mike in Rancho

NGC 6888 Crescent HOO - ancient 2022 data

Post by Mike in Rancho »

After seeing Ron's post the other day, I dug this out of my archive HDD and gave it a spin in 1.9.559b. I can't remember if I ever posted any of this back in the day, but I can't find anything.

The shots were taken in June-July 2022, and originally intended to be part of a collaboration image but that mostly fell through. I also wasn't quite ready for prime time, not yet having my EFW or mono filters. So instead, I took a few hours of duoband "luminance" with the 2600MM and an L-eNhance filter, and then a couple more through the f/s D5300.

In ASTAP I rescaled the DSLR stack to trick ASTAP into choosing the reference I wanted (from the mono) and then extracted the channels. That allowed star alignment of L, R, G, and B. Because I couldn't otherwise get my 2xG in ST, I manually did so with the G and B files via compose to save out just an OIII file. All of this was then composed into ST as bicolor but L, RGB because I didn't think the DSLR data had great SNR. Even so, the result is fairly noisy but integration is limited.

Following crop, 50% bin, wipe, and optidev, all I did was HDR to reveal some details in the Crescent, and SVD. Color was HOO matrix, and the bias sliders were all zeroed out so no throttling. I did bump the general sat slider, and I changed back to scientific color constancy and normal CIELab luminance setting. Then just a mild denoise. No SS or shrink, embracing the very busy star field.

I did like that a number of stars strewn throughout, including one of the bigger ones, displays some nice color in the Ha. So they aren't entirely all teal. In addition to helping hide some of the noise, all the stars also seem to give a bit of life to the image.

I do see a bit of the tiny star ringing that's been discussed in the beta thread, but you probably have to really pixel peep to notice it. I considered a no-shrink-shrink for the deringing controls, but making a proper mask to get all the tiny stars, and not pick up non-stellar features, seemed hard to pull off. And manual mask creation would take a week. I mean, as Carl Sagan would say, there's billions and billions of those tiny stars. :D

The image is so busy that downsampling and quality-reduction to get a jpg of about 500kb isn't very feasible, so I uploaded to the staging area of astrobin for review.

That might be backfiring also. While I think the image looks decent enough when I open it on a 4K monitor (usually xnview, which overrides OS settings and maintains pixel scale), if I look at the a-bin image on the internet with my "normal" Firefox that uses the Windows 150% display magnification, eh, maybe doesn't look so great after all when upsampled.

There's a lot of good stuff in this region, but my Crescent should probably be recaptured and with the proper filters and all 2600 next time. The soap bubble is just barely visible, which is probably appropriate.

https://astrob.in/5raexo/0/
dx_ron

Re: NGC 6888 Crescent HOO - ancient 2022 data

Post by dx_ron »

I vaguely recall your story about combining dslr+2600mm data. There's probably a subroutine buried deep in ST that laughs at PSFs from such images.

I'm usually in the "embrace the star field" camp, yet here I am scrunching stars in this region with whatever tools ST makes available. There's also a definite honesty about leaving the Soap Bubble in its native form.
Mike in Rancho

Re: NGC 6888 Crescent HOO - ancient 2022 data

Post by Mike in Rancho »

dx_ron wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:40 pm I vaguely recall your story about combining dslr+2600mm data. There's probably a subroutine buried deep in ST that laughs at PSFs from such images.

I'm usually in the "embrace the star field" camp, yet here I am scrunching stars in this region with whatever tools ST makes available. There's also a definite honesty about leaving the Soap Bubble in its native form.
Hmm, AI with emotions. That's when we'll be in trouble. :shock:

Ya there were a few targets I captured during my "still waiting to order all the parts" period, and this was one. I suppose the PSF's could have been slightly off if combined, even if scaled for stacking. Both APS-C but slightly different FOV's due to submillimeter differences in sensor dimensions, 3.76 vs 3.89 pixel size, and of course one gets debayered. But my composition was L, RGB so SVD only saw the 2600 data.

It would be interesting to take some new data of this target area (if it wasn't starting to set early) with all filters, BB and NB, and see how it compares to what you posted in the other thread. Is it the filters, the cameras, or the scopes, that seems to permit me to leave the stars as-is (it's still very very busy) while in other data it's impossible, i.e. like trying to look through a jar of marbles. :think: