NGC 2264 et al - 2013-02-14

Post by gboulton »

(Image links to higher res version)
  • ED80T CF on a HyperTune CG-5 Mount
  • EOS 450D
  • HoTech HCA Field Flattener w/ Baader 2" Nd Skyglow filter
  • 7 x 600" Lights at ISO 400
  • 5 Bias
  • 8 flats @ 100 ISO (I simply can't count...meant to take 10)
  • No darks, PHD Dithering
  • BYE Session management
  • PHD Guidance through Orion 50mm Guidescope and Orion SSAG
  • Post process in /r/StarTools, final color adjustment in PS CS2
  • Shot from a Red zone just outside of Nashville, TN
  • Full tech card and link to TIF at astrobin
I'm extremely happy with this one. Certainly, there's some finer processing to be done...and I'm sure I'll come up with versions I like better over the next few days...but the overall amount of data captured, and ability to pull it out of background pleases me a great deal.

First, the ED80 is really starting to come around to me. It and I are getting along very well, and I'm continually pleased with what it can see.

The new Baader SkyGlow filter REALLY made a difference. Previous attempts at this target had been disappointing at best, downright useless at worst, as I simply couldn't pull ANY of the red nebulosity or darker dust out of the light pollution. The Nd filter is superb.

The HoTech Field Flattener really does the job as well. I reviewed it on Reddit.

And finally, based on some conversations elsewhere earlier in the week, I gave this session a shot with no darks, using only PHD dithering. I feel like the end result was noisier than it would have been (though, i did not shoot darks to test, so I could be wrong) but, importantly, the noise wasn't unmanageable. So long as the stack is workable with StarTools or another platform in some reasonable period of time, then I'm happy...and this one was certainly workable.
-- Gordon

My Astrobin
admin
Site Admin

Re: NGC 2264 et al - 2013-02-14

Post by admin »

Very nice image Gordon - lots to see with the faint background nebulosity that you captured and brought out making things interesting at this focal length.
My only (very minor) gripe would be the relative lack of star color. Could the filter be the culprit here?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
gboulton

Post by gboulton »

Thanks, Ivo!

Funny you should say that. Josh said they were too pink! :lol:

I don't think there's a "culprit" at all. I probably just didn't bump saturation under a star mask as much as I usually do. I also sometimes use Synth to add some "pop" to the stars, but didn't this time since there's so many more than in many of my images...it got busy quick.
-- Gordon

My Astrobin
gboulton

Post by gboulton »

Reprocessed today. Balanced the black point to 30-30-35 in PS, then processed in ST, went easier on a few things. I'm happier with this one.
-- Gordon

My Astrobin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

gboulton wrote:

Reprocessed today. Balanced the black point to 30-30-35 in PS, then processed in ST, went easier on a few things. I'm happier with this one.
Yep, that's spot on for color! :)
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
gboulton

Post by gboulton »

Reprocessed this critter int he new version of ST, using some of the techniques Ivo shared with me on /r/Astrophotography for processing the Rosette.

Muuuuuuuuuuch happier now.
-- Gordon

My Astrobin