M20 reprocess with StarTools

User images created with StarTools.
curtistsai

M20 reprocess with StarTools

Post by curtistsai »

I've been trying to improve my proficiency with StarTools, so I revisited data taken last year of the Trifid Nebula. 4x300s each of LRGB, calibrated and stacked in Maxim DL.

I'm not sure I have an optimal workflow but briefly, I processed each channel separately with AutoDev and Decon. Next, I used the the LRGB file load to combine the channels, then used the Color module with an inverted star mask to improve the color of the nebula. I was able to achieve big improvements in much shorter time compared with my previous attempt using Maxim DL and PS2.

I welcome any suggestions on improving my workflow or use of other modules.

Thanks. Curtis
Attachments
Processed with Maxim DL and PS2
Processed with Maxim DL and PS2
M20-LRGB.jpg (399.19 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
Processed with StarTools
Processed with StarTools
M20_4x300_LRGB_startools.jpg (345.72 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: M20 reprocess with StarTools

Post by admin »

Curtis,

That's a very big improvement indeed!
It sounds you are already making use of some advanced techniques in StarTools and your image is of a very high standard. Honestly I have very little to further suggest.
Perhaps you could, for experiment's sake, use the repair module on some of the brighter stars as they appear just slightly eggy... I don't think this is due to guiding issues, but rather looks like some sort of CCD blooming. Could this be correct?
You could also perhaps look into creating a synthetic luminance frame from the L, R, G and B data. By mixing the appropriate amounts according to exposure time. I can see very little noise in your image, so this is just for practice purposes :)
Your colours are very nice and well balanced, and I like how you've given prominence to the subject.
A very, very pleasant M20. :thumbsup:
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast