NGC891

User images created with StarTools.
olivdeso

NGC891

Post by olivdeso »

Here is my first image processed using StarTools :

Luminance : 24x10min, with KAF8300 @ 1450mm F8. average FWHM 2.6", taken in the south of France in august 2013 (under a strong but constant wind @30mph).
Chrominance : 9x10min using the QHY10 color CCD on the Astrotech 106 @ 690mm F6.5 in summer 2011

Stacked with Maxim, processed with Startools, minor cosmetic with CS5

Startools : autodevelop, crop, develop, deconv, masked sharp of the galaxy only, magic, denoise.

-> I have an open point here : should I deconvolve first the whole image, then sharpen the Galaxy using a mask, or should I sharpen first the whole image, before deconvolving?

-> it would be nice to have a "super strech" viewing function in the crop menu, to emphasize the staking artefacts we usually cut at the begenning

The full is here on Astrobin : http://www.astrobin.com/full/54866/?mod=none
admin
Site Admin

Re: NGC891

Post by admin »

:shock:
The detail in the galaxy is exquisite! Very, very good indeed.
olivdeso wrote: Startools : autodevelop, crop, develop, deconv, masked sharp of the galaxy only, magic, denoise.

-> I have an open point here : should I deconvolve first the whole image, then sharpen the Galaxy using a mask, or should I sharpen first the whole image, before deconvolving?
-> it would be nice to have a "super strech" viewing function in the crop menu, to emphasize the staking artefacts we usually cut at the begenning
I can answer these questions in one go;

In StarTools you have more freedom with regards to the sequence in which you do things - StarTools goes 'back in time' to apply crucial operations (like deconvolution, stretching, gradient removal, etc.) at the best possible moment in time and then goes forward in time again. In effect it changes the past to get a better present and future.

For example, in all other applications you will have to perform deconvolution before applying anything else (even a stretch). In StarTools you have the freedom to apply it whenever you want (though early on is best practice).
You're also able to redo a global stretch (with AutoDev or Develop) as many times as you like. It is for that reason that I always start with an AutoDev to emphasize stacking artifacts and other 'problems' so that they are easily visible. I then take care of the problems (ex. cropping stacking artifacts). This is not a problem, as the AutoDev is not permanent - I can redo it later.

So, this is why you you don't need a 'super stretch' to see what you're doing - just use the Develop or AutoDev modules to make any defects in your image visible, fix them, and then simply redo your stretch (using Develop or AutoDev).

Thanks for sharing this wonderful image!

Cheers,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
olivdeso

Post by olivdeso »

Thank you very much Ivo for your answer. This is clear to me now.

Your software is excelent, quite different from the other, but extremly powerfull while looking simple, it helps in geating great results in a short time.

A more simple question : At the first start, the software shown a brief explaination of a typical work flow, which I basically tried to follow. (I wanted to capture that window indedeed, but could not).
does this brief explaination is written somewhere else, in the help for instance? it would be nice to have it on hands, it would help for dumies like me...may be a simple flow chart

Olivier
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You seem to be well on your way already, but this post may help.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
olivdeso

Post by olivdeso »

Thanks Ivo, I will have a look these videos.

This will also help me in introducing your excelent software in my astro club.