IC 342

User images created with StarTools.
Cheman

Re: IC 342

Post by Cheman »

admin wrote:, and go forth and mulitply!" :mrgreen:
bite you tongue for pete's sake I'm 59 year old, thats the last thing I want :shock:

I think my problem with the color module is where it says to click anywhere on the image to white balance. Each time I click, it comes out different. Where SHOULD I be trying to click if not anywhere???
Che
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote:
admin wrote:, and go forth and mulitply!" :mrgreen:
bite you tongue for pete's sake I'm 59 year old, thats the last thing I want :shock:
But we need more StarTools users, StarTools user!
I think my problem with the color module is where it says to click anywhere on the image to white balance. Each time I click, it comes out different. Where SHOULD I be trying to click if not anywhere???
Che
Aha!
Color balancing is performed by finding a good white reference. There are a few ways you can find that white reference.
One way is to click on a part of the image that you think should be white. ST will then adjust the white balance so that that part of the image will turn out white.
The other way is to look at a large part of the image (or the whole image) and reason that, because the universe is roughly white when you add up all energies, then the whole image can act as a white reference. This is what the 'Sample' button does - it samples the current mask and bases a white balance off of those pixels.
If Wipe was succesful, the initial color balance that Color comes up with by default (which is the same as clicking 'Sample') is often spot-on (it was so when I tried your data).
You will be able to tell my the color temperature range of the stars and the color of any features that you know are there (for example a yellowis galaxy core or a purple HII region).
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

well that explains a lot. When it said click anywhere, thats what I did :confusion-shrug: Now I know I'm supposed to click anywhere that is "white" :lol:
Thanks
Che
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote:well that explains a lot. When it said click anywhere, thats what I did :confusion-shrug: Now I know I'm supposed to click anywhere that is "white" :lol:
Thanks
Che
Hmmm... I think I should update that little blurb so it's less confusing... :think:
Ivo Jager
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

So how do you save directly as a jpeg? I have to save as tif and open in another program then save as jpeg. Startools tells me I can only save in tif or jpeg but only saves in tif. What did I miss?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cheman wrote:So how do you save directly as a jpeg? I have to save as tif and open in another program then save as jpeg. Startools tells me I can only save in tif or jpeg but only saves in tif. What did I miss?
Change the extension to .jpg - it's as easy as that!
Ivo Jager
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

:doh:
Cheman

Post by Cheman »

IC-342final.jpg
IC-342final.jpg (439.93 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
Heres what I came up with today. Not sure if the colors are "correct" but I like them :lol: Saved as a jpg directly from Startools :D