M16 Eagle neb in Ha

User images created with StarTools.
ChrisLX200

M16 Eagle neb in Ha

Post by ChrisLX200 »

This is old data from June 2014 which I've reprocessed using v1.4a, I knew it was noisy because there were only 5 x 900s subs in total, M16 is very low for me @ 53deg N and it is at it's highest mid-June (when it doesn't really go dark!). I only managed to capture the Ha channel, clouds prevented anything else. Ah well, excuses aside... the scope was my venerable NP127is and the CCD my Atik490EX operating @ 1x1 binning, which in theory at 1.1arc-sec per pixel is way over-sampled for my usual atmospheric conditions. So much for theory, the scope still produced amazing resolution and StarTools expertly controlled the noise to produce the images below:

Full frame (almost, cropped about 50pxls per side):

and zoomed in to the centre bit which should show here at full resolution:

And yes, I tried processing this data in PixInsight too and couldn't get close to this result - which probably describes my expertise with PI more than its limitations but hey - the job was a whole lot easier in StarTools...

ChrisH
ChrisLX200

Re: M16 Eagle neb in Ha

Post by ChrisLX200 »

Oh, and in cse you were wondering what the raw data looked like, this is a jpg of the DSS stack, just stretched so it's visible but otherwise unprocessed (so the noise is still apparent)

ChrisH
Cheman

Re: M16 Eagle neb in Ha

Post by Cheman »

Chris
even your stretched only image is wonderful. You get some amazing results.
Che