Heart and Soul nebulae

User images created with StarTools.
MarkoT

Heart and Soul nebulae

Post by MarkoT »

Cheers,

This is not on par with most of the images in the gallery, but one's got to start some where. Heart and Soul nebulae (+one airplane and a couple of satellites) imaged with Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO @200mm and EOS 1000D ISO1600. A stack of 30 3min subs (unguided) and 10 darks for a total of 1h30min. More light is needed to bring out the nebulae more.

I was a bit surprised how crowded the area actually is. Looking at most of the photos they seem to be missing quite a few stars :confusion-shrug:
Attachments
Heart and Soul_STForum.jpg
Heart and Soul_STForum.jpg (411.72 KiB) Viewed 5484 times
Cheman

Re: Heart and Soul nebulae

Post by Cheman »

could be that some of us reduce the size of the stars to make the object stand out more. Still my version of the Soul nebula still has a lot of stars :D

Che
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking good!
You could get rid of the satellite trail by stacking using median, or by using some other rejection method. Worst case, you can touch up the image using the Heal module and drawing a simple line using the mask editor.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
MarkoT

Post by MarkoT »

Thanks for the replies. Did some reprocessing with a sigma combined stack. I'm quite happy with the result but it is a bit soft. I'm having some difficulties with reducing the star quantity and size. Using Heal to remove the stars and then layers to combine the nebulosity and stars is a very handy feature. My problem is that when the stars are removed I get dark patches in the nebulosity and need to do quite a bit of gaussian blur to get rid of the dark patches. What would be the best way to handle a really busy star field such as this?
Attachments
HeartAndSoulV2_Final.jpg
HeartAndSoulV2_Final.jpg (480.84 KiB) Viewed 5445 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Have you tried using the Life module's Isolate preset (without a mask set)?
It should push back the busy star field.

There is also the Magic module to magically shrink or tighten your your stars :)

Combining both is also an option.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast