The Horsehead and Flame Nebula in HaRGB

User images created with StarTools.
Hondo

The Horsehead and Flame Nebula in HaRGB

Post by Hondo »

Greetings. Here is this year's effort on this classic pair. Image details on the Astobin site. Thanks for looking.

Scott
CEM60, ES 102ED with Motorized MoonLite Focuser, Mallincam VRC-8 Ritchey-Chrétien with CCDT67, Atik 383L+ Mono with EFW2 FW, Baader 36 mm NB and LRGB Filters, RV-6 Dynascope, a very understanding and loving wife, and a Roll Off Roof Observatory
1074j

Re: The Horsehead and Flame Nebula in HaRGB

Post by 1074j »

How do you keep your brighter stars looking decent? I always have trouble with them as they seem to get over stretched and turn into blobs. "tighten" and "reduce" under Sometimes I remove all the stars and then replace them with less aggressively stretched ones. This just adds another step to processing and if there is a way to avoid it, I'd like to know.
thanks.
Mike
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

Using the Ha as a luminance layer really helps to keep the stars from bloating. For stars like Altinak, I generally remove them with the heal module and then layer a less stretched version back in.
Scott
CEM60, ES 102ED with Motorized MoonLite Focuser, Mallincam VRC-8 Ritchey-Chrétien with CCDT67, Atik 383L+ Mono with EFW2 FW, Baader 36 mm NB and LRGB Filters, RV-6 Dynascope, a very understanding and loving wife, and a Roll Off Roof Observatory
KD0NPT-Astro

Post by KD0NPT-Astro »

Nice work! Thanks for posting.
1074j

Post by 1074j »

I've used the trick of Ha stars too and that does work pretty well. It just that sometimes I don't have Ha available and luminance channel stars can start too look quite bad. I recently found that masking them out during noise reduction helps some.
Burly

Post by Burly »

loveley image great work :thumbsup: