ETTR (Expose to the right) and StarTools

General discussion about StarTools.
rottielover

ETTR (Expose to the right) and StarTools

Post by rottielover »

I did a quick search for ETTR and didn't find anything. Is anyone using ETTR techniques in heavy light pollution area's and processing with StarTools? Are you changing very much with your workflow?

My local forcast says it's going to be the last clear night for quite a while, I have work in the morning, so I was seriously considering trying out some ETTR from my driveway tonight before bed...

Tips tricks??

Thanks in advance!!!!
Guy

Re: ETTR (Expose to the right) and StarTools

Post by Guy »

To me, ETTR seems a sensible way of trying to get the best from skies with bad light pollution/skyglow - as an alternative to using filters.
I found this article which uses it in photographing the Milky Way from the light-polluted skies of Singapore

With significant skyglow, if you keep the luminance histogram peak to the left, as you would in a dark site, it will mean taking correspondingly shorter exposures. The shorter exposure times in the sub-frames would mean loss of faint detail, regardless of total integration time.
If you extend the exposure time, so the histogram moves to the right, you will collect more signal photons - but you may saturate elements of the image.
You might handle any minor saturation of stars by using the Magic module or, for more complex saturation issues, taking another set of subs at shorter exposure time and combine them using the Layer module.

Each location is different, and it will also depend on the subject, so you will need to experiment to see what works best for you.

Like you, I'd be interested in other peoples experiences.
rottielover

Re: ETTR (Expose to the right) and StarTools

Post by rottielover »

The write-up you linked was the original inspiration for my post.

Since that time I ended up ordering a Baader Semi-APO filter, and this thing is awesome. Between the filter, extremely aggressive dithering, and carefully tweaking the exposures and ISO settings for each target, I've managed a few OK images from my driveway.