Raw to linear tiff/fits

General discussion about StarTools.
Pogo

Raw to linear tiff/fits

Post by Pogo »

Hi, I just downloaded a trial version of the software, and liking it a lot so far.
I have used several programs in the past, when I was shooting with cooled ccd camera's.
I no longer use those, but occasionally I will use a regular camera with my telescope. One is a Sony A7rII (yes I know about the star eater) as well as a Pentax K-1.
Now the software user manual tells me to use linear data from the camera. With my Canons in the past I could do that with Digital Photo Professional, but I do not know how to create a linear tiff or fits file from my Sony or Pentax. Can somebody here point me in the right direction to do that?

Thanks very much,

Peter
Rkonrad

Re: Raw to linear tiff/fits

Post by Rkonrad »

Hi Peter,

When you stack photos in a programme such as DeepSkyStacker or whatever you may use, assuming you do, the result file would automatically be linear.

richard
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your answer. So even when the input Tiff has a curve applied to it, this is still the case?
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Hi Peter,

What stacking programme do you use? The resultant tiff should not be stretched and linear means there is no curve applied. I use DeepSkyStacker. I believe you can view it stretched but there's an option to save it unadjusted.

Cheers Richard
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I have a few that can do that including DSS. But if you insert a nonlinear tiff and output a linear tiff, isn’t that sort of backward engineering?
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

Hi Peter

Once you stack all your raw images your result is linear. As far as the science is concerned, I welcome other comments as I'm out of my field here. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Cheers

Richard
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Hi Richard, tried dss this afternoon. I didn’t realize it could read my raw files directly. So you were right, got my linear files now.