Processing globular clusters

General discussion about StarTools.
elpajare

Processing globular clusters

Post by elpajare »

First of all I have to say that I am a newcomer to this fantastic program. With all the possible mistakes I like to share with you my learning process and listen to the advice of the veterans about my work

These are the original and final photos of a globular cluster, the NGC 6535 in Serpens taken with 60 exposures of 4 seconds with a Skywatcher Quattro. This is the process that I followed:

1.-Autodev
2.- Crop ( stacking artifacts and others)
3.- Autodev + ROI over the brightest object
4.- Whipe-Gradients / Vignettting (settings by default). Previously create a Mask keeping the cluster
3.- Develop. Digital development + Dark anomaly filter
4.- Contrast ( if it was necessary)
5.- HDR. Optimize hard
6.- Scientific color + RGB ratio + Cap green> yellow
7.- Noise reduction (settings by default)
8.- Optionally = Life>Moderate / Hard
9.- Optionally= Magic >Srink (create a protective mask over the Cluster)
9.- Develop. Final Digital develop+ Gamma correct

Optionally you can create an active mask over the cluster to increase the light and detail with Filter> Nudge (Screeen)
Final
Final
NGC 6535 GC SERPENS 60X4 28%BC M29 S5-4 HP 25 SKW+IMX287.jpg (74.53 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Original
Original
NGC 6535 GC SERPENS 60X4 28º M29 S5-4 HP 25 SKW+IMX287.jpg (195.23 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
happy-kat

Re: Processing globular clusters

Post by happy-kat »

That's a lovely bright cluster.
elpajare

Re: Processing globular clusters

Post by elpajare »

To highlight the cluster I have made the Mask Flood fill lighter pixels. In this way I can isolate it from the rest and treat it in a special way to increase the brightness and detail.

This concrete mask covers the center of the cluster and the surroundings and help to improve the final result.