Newbie with a couple of questions

General discussion about StarTools.
Pscm

Re: Newbie with a couple of questions

Post by Pscm »

Thanks for the input. Very helpful. I live just about in the middle of Maine about 1/2 hour from the coast in a small town and feel we have pretty dark skies. There are some areas not far from me that in theory is some of the best there is. I have shot both 800 and 1600 and 800 seems best but I am a major beginner. I am currently going unguided and have yet to determine just how far I can go before trailing becomes an issue. I have an Orion EQ-G alias to the HEQ5. Some will say I will be lucky to get a minute exposure while others say I could get quite a bit more. I plan on doing a belt mod which may or may not help but it will quiet it down if anything. I will find my limitation soon enough. The moon is coming into full peek so now would be a good time to play. I hate playing when the skies are good as I want to image. I just need a clear night and I will determine my limitations.

Cheers.
Rkonrad

Post by Rkonrad »

No problem. When I shoot, I am also am unguided but use a 300mm focal length which is likely more forgiving. 4 minutes is my record so far. If stars aren't too dense, you can round the stars nicely with the repair module. Good luck.

Richard
mranch

Post by mranch »

I'm new to Star Tools. Wow, what an awesome program!! A question, will Star Tools create a log for you? If so, how? Thanks,

Bob
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

There is an on running log file, you will find the log text file in the star tools folder where you put the application.
mranch

Post by mranch »

Well that is just about Awesome!! Thanks,

Bob