For The DSLR Users - Astro Conversions

General discussion about StarTools.
mranch

For The DSLR Users - Astro Conversions

Post by mranch »

Hi There, I just recently expanded on my astronomy endeavors, from not only visual but now I'm getting into astrophotography. I'm wondering about having my 7d Mark II converted for astro use. How many have done this? Are you happy with the results? What conversions did you have done? How about recommendations on who to use for the conversion. I might also add that I am in the U.S. Thanks so much!!

Bob
saublestarman

Re: For The DSLR Users - Astro Conversions

Post by saublestarman »

Bob,
Over the 2017/2018 winter I had my Nikon D5300 Ha modified by Kolari Vision. https://kolarivision.com/
I also bought hot mirror filters for my camera lenses so I can still use the camera for daylight use. They programmed a custom white balance into the camera which works perfectly with my lenses. Autofocus works just fine. I can still get great sunset photos. It took roughly one month to get the camera back. Total cost was $500 US but that includes purchasing two hot mirror filters for my portrait and telephoto lenses and shipping. Be prepared to also regenerate your DARKs and BIAS libraries when you get your camera back. In my case they actually replaced the imaging chip. I think the replacement chip has fewer hot pixels. This summer I just fell in love with my Nebula astrophotos. The North American Nebula is just to die for. Startools didn't seem to have a problem with the modification. My image of the dumbbell nebula showed very good color. I also believe the camera is much more sensitive( higher QE) with lots more DSO photons captured per image.

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada

Good Luck

Peter
mranch

Re: For The DSLR Users - Astro Conversions

Post by mranch »

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply Peter. I ended up going with Life Pixel for my astro conversion. I just received my modified camera back from them a couple of days ago. On Jan. 3rd I'm heading to my observatory in Central Oregon to try it out for the first time.