Utility to replay StarTools sessions

General discussion about StarTools.

Utility to replay StarTools sessions

Postby Guy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:09 pm

I have developed a small Windows-based software tool (called STReplay) which uses the StarTools log file to recreate a previous processing session. This may be useful in various ways - like comparing different approaches in processing.

I am looking for a small number of people to test the stability and portability of the application with a view to making it more widely available - if there is interest.

It can be used in a number of ways - but with varying results:
• If Repeating the processing using the original image file and masks:
- STReplay should produce good, repeatable, results with perhaps a minor deterioration.
• If Repeating the processing using variations of the original image (e.g. a different stack of subs):
- STReplay should produce reasonable, repeatable, results suitable for experimentation. However, once the optimum original image is chosen it is best to go through a full new StarTools processing session to get the best results.

Note: If you use a different image from the original STReplay is unlikely to produce good or repeatable results with any accuracy – it is best to do a new session for a new image.

Limitations:
- It is limited to Windows - there is no version for Linux or macOS.
- It only works with StarTools version 1.4.332 or later.

If you are interested in helping with this testing then please send me a PM with the details of your computing environment (Computer, OS & Screen resolution).

Guy
Guy

Re: Utility to replay StarTools sessions

Postby niccoc1603 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:17 am

Hi,

this is fantastic! I am absolutely keen on helping you with this project. I can't figure how to PM you but count me in

Windows 10,
4k monitor
niccoc1603

Postby Rkonrad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:05 am

there is no version for Linux or macOS
yet??

I'm envious of Windows operators now. :) It looks like a good tool Guy! :thumbsup: Let me know if you decide to also develop it for Linux.

Richard
Rkonrad

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:25 am

Hi,

Thanks for volunteering, niccoc1603. I've sent you a PM.
Log in and go to the User Control Panel - it should be waiting for you in the Private Messages area.

Richard, I'd have appreciated your opinion of it - unfortunately it uses some operating system elements so I don't think using an emulator would help.
If I do look at it, it will be when the dust has settled on this version - particularly if I can find an 'idiots guide' to programming for Linux!
I'll keep you posted.

Guy
Guy

Return to General Discussion