Planetary Video Imaging

General discussion about StarTools.
Troy Galebach

Planetary Video Imaging

Post by Troy Galebach »

I'm still mucking about with trying to obtain a good image of Jupiter. I still haven't, but have run into an issue which I wonder if anyone else has encountered.
I took a video of 2000 frames in a .ser file. Then I used Siril to convert the video to individual .fit images. I manually cleaned up the bad .fit files. I had about 9 where I bumped the camera cable or something.
I then registered and did a 2x drizzle on the good frames and stacked the best 900+ images. This doubled the size of my image.

I then loaded the stacked .fit image into StarTools, and played with it for days.
I ran Auto Dev, and cropped, then did a manual develop on the remaining image. I ran into a problem where when I ran the Deconvolution Module and I could still gain detail on the planet face by increasing the radius slider, but then a halo was formed around Jupiter. So I was stuck, I stopped the Deconvolution prior to the halo formation, and ended up with a jpeg picture which should have been a bit less fuzzy. Then I did some searching on the web, and found out that if I converted that jpg to a .png file, 90+ percent of the halo was removed by the conversion.

So halo mitigation on .jpgs can be accomplished by converting them to .png files. At least most of it.

I suspect that there has to be some way in StarTools to rid myself of the dratted halo without having to convert the .jpg file to a .png. Anyone have any ideas?
I tried to upload the .jpg and the .png files but for some reason the halo isn't visible on my post. So I'm just uploading the original .jpg poor as it is.

Regards,
Troy Galebach
Attachments
Jup_stackedRGB.jpg
Jup_stackedRGB.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Planetary Video Imaging

Post by admin »

I can't really see the halo, but you may be able to suppress halo formation by either putting Jupiter in a mask, or use the Layer module to create a composite of the before and after image.
E.g. in the latter case, you would put Jupiter's disc in a mask, launch the Layer module (after Decon was performed), click Undo->Background and if all is well, only Jupiter's deconvolved disc is shown. You may want to play with the Mask Fuzz parameter to make the blend a bit smoother.

Does this help?
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast