doing a mask when the problem becomes invisible

General discussion about StarTools.
Lawrence

doing a mask when the problem becomes invisible

Post by Lawrence »

I have been tackling an image using the usual sequence: autodev, bin, crop, wipe - and then needed to do a mask. However, as soon as I select mask the whole image changes such that the actual problems become invisible. This stops me masking the localised problems out. What is it that I have omitted or done wrongly?

TIA Lawrence Harris
admin
Site Admin

Re: doing a mask when the problem becomes invisible

Post by admin »

Hi Lawrence,

There are a couple of solutions for this;
  • If you are trying to create a mask for the Wipe module, you can first proceed without a mask and Keep the result. The result may be wrong, but it may/will show any issues much clearer. Now create the mask you need to correct these issues. Once you've created the mask, use the Restore button to restore the dataset to its "Original" state. This will do just that, however, it will retain the mask. Now launch the Wipe module again, keep the mask as-is (e.g. don't let Wipe clear it), and hit Do. You should now have the correct result (this is an example of the Tracking time-travel functionality; you're restoring the dataset to its original, but with foreknowledge of its future, e.g. the mask).
  • In a similar vein, you can always use some procedure (Develop, AutoDev, Contrast, HDR, etc) in StarTools in order to visualise the problems better. Once visualised, create your mask. You then save the mask, re-load (or restore using the restore button) your dataset and load back in the mask.
Hope this helps!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast