1.5 is out

General discussion about StarTools.
-Joe_

1.5 is out

Post by -Joe_ »

Just noticed the download links have changed to v1.5 .. am I missing a channel somewhere to get notifications of new releases?

:obscene-drinkingcheers: Ivo!
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.5 is out

Post by admin »

-Joe_ wrote:Just noticed the download links have changed to v1.5 .. am I missing a channel somewhere to get notifications of new releases?

Argh! You beat me to it! :lol:

Hi all,

After a long, long period of R&D and subsequent beta testing, I am proud to announce the next big version of StarTools!
It finally brings together everything researched and developed over a period of 4 years, only some of which could be glimpsed in the 1.4.x development versions.

What's new

1.5 is a massive release, jam-packed with enhancements, features and exciting signal-processing innovations;
  • Create and process complex composites as if they were simple DSLR datasets. The new Compose mode processes luminance (detail) and color separately in parallel. In a world first, processing LRGB, LLRGB, LSHO and more in one go without combining later is now possible and yields cleaner results to boot due to cross-dataset signal consultation. Video of LLRGB example here and video of LSHO example of the iconic Hubble Pillars of Creation here.
  • Multiple years of work have gone into improving the signal evolution Tracking engine performance across all modules. Noise mitigation and signal fidelity preservation is more effective than ever before,
  • New presets and a brand a new module (video here) are now available for quick and intuitive manipulation of narrowband datasets.
  • Many other quality-of-life improvements are included, such as pre/post-tweak buttons, hot keys, UI overhaul, optimizations, new docs and videos, STREPLAY support and much, much more. See CHANGELOG file in the download for details.
The trial is still free as always and downloadable now. Any StarTools license ever issued will work with 1.5 and make it fully functional. As a courtesy, this is true even if your license has expired (though if you like what you see, please consider supporting us by renewing your license).

Many thanks to the beta testers and those sending me datasets. I couldn't have done this without you! :D
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

-Joe_ wrote:Just noticed the download links have changed to v1.5 .. am I missing a channel somewhere to get notifications of new releases?

You will receive an email over the next few days. I can only batch-send 500 at a time. :)
Ivo Jager
-Joe_

Post by -Joe_ »

I guess I must have looked at just the right time :)
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Looks fantastic! :thumbsup: :D
Thanks for the continued development.
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Hi Ivo,
Should the Entropy module be applied before or after colour balancing with the colour module?

Thanks again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AndyBooth wrote:Hi Ivo,
Should the Entropy module be applied before or after colour balancing with the colour module?

Thanks again.
After is easiest, as you can more clearly see "why" something was enhanced (as the color balancing would have made it more obvious as to what emissions are being enhanced).
If in doubt what sequence to follow, just look at how the icons are arranged in the home screen;

The icons in the top two panels roughly follow a recommended workflow when read left to right, top to bottom.
Ivo Jager
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Brilliant, never noticed that Ivo, thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

One other question that raises for me, what about binning when using a OSC camera?
Doesn’t binning screw up the colour info for the colour module?
Ive historically binned just before stopping tracking and subsequent noise reduction.
(Typically for me 50 or 75% binning).

Thanks
Andy.
-Joe_

Post by -Joe_ »

admin wrote:
If in doubt what sequence to follow, just look at how the icons are arranged in the home screen;

The icons in the top two panels roughly follow a recommended workflow when read left to right, top to bottom.
Wow.. i never noticed!

Makes sense now I have though ;)
GedlingSky

Post by GedlingSky »

Thanks so much for this upgrade to StarTools. I have downloaded the Win 64 version of the v1.5 software but when I got to the end of my first use at the point of saving the image it stated it was a demo version. I already have a $50 license for StarTools already, what do I need to do to permit it to save?
Best Regards,
Steve