Which stacker?

General discussion about StarTools.
Rkonrad

Re: Which stacker?

Post by Rkonrad »

I too have been trying out Siril and it's remarkably fast. I'm about 70% understanding it though and would love a tutorial - especially how to incorporate calibration frames into it.

Cheers Richard
dariv

Post by dariv »

APP is what I use. Much like StarTools, you can plug in data and just go with the defaults to get something that looks good, or you can dig in deep with all the settings. It has a "tab" system where each tab is like a "module." Load data in one, calibrate in another, and so on. You can set up each tab and then just hit the integrate button and out pop your stacks. I routinely stack 500-600 subs into multi-channel stacks, no problem.
prusling

Post by prusling »

Hi again, Ivo has uploaded the tutorial at http://download.startools.org/Siril%20w ... irilic.pdf

Please let me have any feedback on it and share the settings that you find work best with StarTools.
perdrix

Post by perdrix »

Just as a BTW, I thought I'd mention that DeepSkyStacker 4.2.2 is WAY faster for most stuff than the earlier releases (50 times faster for some cases), and 4.2.3 will be even faster. Here's the enhancements in the 4.2.2 release:

1. Changes to star registration code to detect larger stars than before. Star radius of up to 50 pixels is now valid (it was 20 pixels). This was needed to accomodate higher resolution sensors.

2. Allow larger star sizes to the specified in the Star Mask creation dialogue. Star diameter of up to 100 pixels is now allowed. This was needed to accomodate higher resolution sensors.

3. OpenMP speedup of Star Mask image reading code.

4. Huge speedup of final image display by using much larger rectangles and OpenMP speedup of the bitmap extraction code.

5. Speed up star registration by updating progress indicator once every 25 iterations instead of each iteration.

6. Computing Final Picture using Kappa-Sigma Clip processing is now about 50 times faster!

7. Computing Final Picture using Auto Adaptive Weighted Average is now about 43 times faster!

8. Auto-Adaptive Weighted Average now re-written completely. It should no longer produce whited out images or other strange results. Thanks to Michael A. Covington and Simon C. Smith for their immense help in locating references and getting this working. Thanks are also due to Dr. Peter B. Stetson who very kindly provided a web link to his original lecture notes, emailed a PDF copy of his original paper, and provided helpful guidance.

9. Update LibRaw to 0.19.3.

10. Reverted Entropy calculation code in CEntropyInfo::InitSquareEntropies() to NOT compute in parallel - some called code wasn't thread safe.

11. Entropy Weighted Average complete stack of 50 lights is now about 20 times faster on my laptop, down from 4hrs 22min to 12min 55 sec.

12. Bug fix - changing "Set the black point to 0" or "Use Camera White Balance" after an image was loaded didn't change the rendering.

13. When loading raw files, check that the camera is listed in the LibRaw supported camera list. Issue a warning if not.

14. User request to change the file open dialog to default to *all* supported image types including raw files.

15. Three times performance improvement in star registration.

16. As requested by Ray Butler, use relative paths in saved file lists while continuing to accept older file lists using absolute paths.

17. Miscellaneous other performance tweaks.

18. Display lens aperture information in the image lists for DeepSkyStacker and DeepSkyStackerLive.

19. Don't check for LibRaw camera support if processing DNG file.
Burly

Post by Burly »

I too downloaded Siril a while ago couldn’t work it out but thanks to this video https://youtu.be/iVVv5mIb8U0 and using scripts is actually really easy to get you going , basically create a folder within the folder containing your subs name it temp now create a separate folder for each set of lights , biases , flats and darks , I dither so don’t create darks folder , now when Siril opens up at bottom of page you need to set the working directory, this is the temp folder containing all lights bias etc use the browse function to set the directory path , once done go to scripts first says dslr this assumes you are using lights flats bias and darks , choose what suits you in my case dslr no darks , as soon as you choose option Siril kicks in and at the end will leave a fit in temp directory that’s it all done , also very quick utilises all cores on processor , initial results looks very good so I’m digging some old data to play with , multiple sessions can be done too you just stack the fits files from every session together by aligning and stacking , read comments on YouTube video I explained it on there and when I get a minute I will update this thread .
Note there are some other scripts here https://free-astro.org/index.php?title=Siril:scripts that cover data from multiple sessions too not sure what the process is need to see if I can see what the commands are actually doing

Regards Dave
happy-kat

Post by happy-kat »

Just sharing that DDS 4.2.3 has the function to no white balance in processing which is great with the new StarTools capability.