DeepSkyStacker (DSS), w/whitebalancing OFF

General discussion about StarTools.
admin
Site Admin

DeepSkyStacker (DSS), w/whitebalancing OFF

Post by admin »

Hi all,

Many of you use Deep Sky Stacker, and thanks to David (perdrix here on the forum), DSS (as of 4.2.3 beta-1) now has an option to turn off white balancing (Cloudy Nights post here).

For those using StarTools with visual-spectrum DSLR or OSC datasets, they can now activate a special mode that yields an even cleaner signal when processing (use the second option when opening an image).

In addition, the 1.6 alpha version of StarTools also includes camera color response profiles for most popular DSLRs, selectable in the Color module. The important point is all this color balancing and correcting no longer impacts the luminance signal, which remains clean. This will allow for cleaner, better images, while providing more control of color presentation.

Clear skies!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
prusling

Re: DeepSkyStacker (DSS), w/whitebalancing OFF

Post by prusling »

Loving the narrowband colour blending options in the new alpha!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

prusling wrote:Loving the narrowband colour blending options in the new alpha!
Ah yes, I didn't want to make narrowband imagers feel left behind. :D
Ivo Jager
Pscm

Post by Pscm »

I have just added the mx release and also the beta for DSS. If i understand in ST select the second button on file type. My question is related to DSS when using DSLR images (Nikon D5300). In the Raw/Fits digital development process settings should i have box on top selected related to monochrome/Raw files selected and which Bayer matrix option below should I select? I have been using both programs for a while now and was never really sure of this setting. I had it selected before although just tried a load with it deselected.

Also a note that for whatever reason when I was in HDR module after running a standard "DO" I selected optimize and the software hung up and crashed.

Thanks
PaulE54

Post by PaulE54 »

Just checking - I've updated to DSS 4.2.3 Beta and I looked for the "turn off white balancing" checkbox.
I can see it under RAW / FITS DDP settings, but it is on the RAW tab, not the FITS tab.
As a OSC CMOS camera user, will my FITS files be processed according to the setting of this checkbox under the RAW files tab?

Thanks

Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You bring up a good point. An OSC user does not really deal with "RAW" files (e.g CR2, ARW, NEF, etc), though the FITS files an OSC produces with the Bayer pattern still in place are pretty much the same thing.
I cannot say for sure - David / perdrix may want to weigh in on this, but I assume the "no white balancing" option still works for OSC (FITS) data.

As for the Nikon question, you will quickly discover whether the Bayer matrix was correct. If it is not correct, the result is often swapped color channels.
Ivo Jager