idass D2 filter question

General discussion about StarTools.
Burly

idass D2 filter question

Post by Burly »

I have the idas D2 filter and an well aware now that it distorts the colour and probobaly the best way to use is to shoot luminance with the D2 and rgb separately which is fine for a mono ccd ,do i have an option using with a dslr could i shoot frames with d2 in place and seperate the colour out, then shoot frames with the D2 removed then combine the results would that work?
admin
Site Admin

Re: idass D2 filter question

Post by admin »

Burly wrote:I have the idas D2 filter and an well aware now that it distorts the colour and probobaly the best way to use is to shoot luminance with the D2 and rgb separately which is fine for a mono ccd ,do i have an option using with a dslr could i shoot frames with d2 in place and seperate the colour out, then shoot frames with the D2 removed then combine the results would that work?
Absolutely! You can just use a DSLR for both datasets, exactly as you say; shoot one dataset with filter in place, shoot one dataset without filter. The new compose mode/module will let you combine and then process the resulting dataset with a standard workflow, while keeping the color information and luminance information perfectly separate.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Burly

Post by Burly »

Thanks Ivo once uk skies ever clear I will have a stab at that and post the results or problems ,i assume i choose L,rgb mode ivo is that correct ,so i would take luminance data from subs taken with D2 and rgb from data without the filter in place .
Burly

Post by Burly »

Ivo just a question , is it possible to image a 2gv star on the night of imaging, i have identified a star that is cicumpolar and use that during processing to use as white calibration.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Burly wrote:Ivo just a question , is it possible to image a 2gv star on the night of imaging, i have identified a star that is cicumpolar and use that during processing to use as white calibration.
Do you mean having this star in the actual dataset, or in a separate dataset that you would process identically?
In the first case, you use the Sample function with a mask to sample the G2V star, in the latter case, you would do the same thing, make a note of the white balancing factors and apply them to the other dataset.
Does this help?
Ivo Jager
Burly

Post by Burly »

Yes Ivo the latter case , I would image the G2V hip 56948 a G5 class star separate for Wb without D2 filter in train and platesolve image on astrometry.net to confirm correct star identification then process the file noting the parameters in colour module once sample taken .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Burly wrote:Yes Ivo the latter case , I would image the G2V hip 56948 a G5 class star separate for Wb without D2 filter in train and platesolve image on astrometry.net to confirm correct star identification then process the file noting the parameters in colour module once sample taken .
Ah, ok, apologies - I missed bit where you would be shooting with an LP filter in place. This procedure unfortunately will likely not result in a satisfactory white balance, due to the rather significant color skew precisely around the yellow part of the spectrum... :(
Ivo Jager
Burly

Post by Burly »

I will be imaging target too with no filter ivo ,