StarTools 1.6.382 alpha is big; please report any issues!

General discussion about StarTools.
Burly

Re: StarTools 1.6.382 alpha is big; please report any issues

Post by Burly »

When I used denoise 2 after pressing full took for ever and a day , I mean way way too long so cancel then do again completed in seconds as if it’s actually denoised but got stuck confirming complete , but going back a step then fwd again seems to solve it , I have had this happen a few times not always data always binned 50% so not a full resolution image.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Burly wrote:When I used denoise 2 after pressing full took for ever and a day , I mean way way too long so cancel then do again completed in seconds as if it’s actually denoised but got stuck confirming complete , but going back a step then fwd again seems to solve it , I have had this happen a few times not always data always binned 50% so not a full resolution image.
Hmmm.... Sounds like a bug. Thank you for reporting this!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
hixx

Post by hixx »

Thanks for the updates. The behaviour of the OS seems really quite bizarre - it really sounds like it is randomly revoking file system write access on a very low level. I've observed this on Linux systems where the OS has detected a hardware failure and places the media in read-only mode. I've seen this happen because of an actual hardware failure, as well as a device driver bug (sleep related).
It really does sound this is an OS bug. If that is the case, then it is very worrying that Apple feels it is ok to release this for daily use.

quick update: I rolled back to Mojave (MacOS 10.14) last weekend and had no crash or weird behavior at all since, neither with StarTools nor with Mail, Numbers or Pages... :D
So it clearly seems the issues I faced were related to Catalina on my imac late 2015. I would honestly recommend anyone with that configuration not to perform that update. Again, I was unsuccessful to run both 15.1 & 15.2.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hixx wrote: quick update: I rolled back to Mojave (MacOS 10.14) last weekend and had no crash or weird behavior at all since, neither with StarTools nor with Mail, Numbers or Pages... :D
So it clearly seems the issues I faced were related to Catalina on my imac late 2015. I would honestly recommend anyone with that configuration not to perform that update. Again, I was unsuccessful to run both 15.1 & 15.2.
That is super helpful information - thank you!
It indeed seems to prove there is an issue with the filesystem on macOS Catalina.
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast