Saving

General discussion about StarTools.
Ridgesoar

Saving

Post by Ridgesoar »

This winter in the gloom I'm going to reprocess a lot of data to really learn how to use StarTools!
Does anyone know if or how I can save a partially worked image and bring it back up to work from where I left off. John :confusion-shrug:
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving

Post by admin »

Ridgesoar wrote:This winter in the gloom I'm going to reprocess a lot of data to really learn how to use StarTools!
Does anyone know if or how I can save a partially worked image and bring it back up to work from where I left off. John :confusion-shrug:
While Tracking is on, your image remains in superposition of states, and the amount of data stored on your harddrive is typically vast. Therefore, "freezing" your workflow into a single (humongous) file is not possible (practical) right now.

This is, however, offset by the fact that processing workflows in StarTools are typically very short (endless tweaking does not apply), while the 'Restore' functionality can be used to undo aspects of your processing.

Really, Tracking is probably the most important part to get your head around in StarTools, as it is simultaneously so very different AND powerful when compared to traditional filter-upon-filter type applications. When you peruse a tutorial or follow along with a log or video, you will notice that they all generally follow the same short flow (you can start off here).

Any trouble, let us know. And if you'd like a personalised workflow with one of your own datasets, likewise!
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
Ridgesoar

Re: Saving

Post by Ridgesoar »

Thnaks. I'll just watch many videos and then start redoing stuff. John
(Just saw your video explaining your first version. Very good. It will help!)