Welcome!

General discussion about StarTools.

Welcome!

Postby admin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 am

Hi and welcome to the StarTools forum!

StarTools has been released as of the 1st of March 2011 and can be found in the download section.
Don't hesitate to use the forum to let us know what you think and how we can improve StarTools!

We hope you enjoy your stay,
Ivo Jager
StarTools creator and astronomy enthusiast
admin
Site Admin

Re: Welcome!

Postby Troy Galebach » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:23 am

Hello Ivo,
It's been awhile, and our weather was so terrible this past 9 months that joined Deep Sky West to get some data to play with.
Now it might be in the manual, but remember I'm dumber these days since my strokes. I'm struggling to figure out how to get bias frames, flats, darks, etc. into StarTools.
I will begin to read the latest docs from start to finish but reading is somewhat a challenge these days. In case you get this before I finish the docs (that was a joke), can you point me in the right direction, or tell me if I need another tool which runs on Linux to facilitate their incorporation into my input files?

I hope you are well, this virus thing has the U.S. population acting like kids afraid of the dark. I guess living 70 years with thousands taken by influenza each year makes a fellow ambivalent about things.

Oh, I've liked the changes you've made since I first bought your product. I think you should charge more for it. If I can get good results, anyone should be able to. BTW, are you on astrobin? I never thought to look.

Regards,
Troy
Troy Galebach

Re: Welcome!

Postby happy-kat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi.
This page has links to various user documents or youtube videos.
https://www.startools.org/links--tutorials

If you are using Linux you could look at using Siirlic for stacking your lights with your calibration files, and there is a link to using it here.
https://www.startools.org/links--tutori ... -tutorials

Calibration files, on your imaging device then:
Darks same as lights ISO, exposure, aperture but lens cap on take at least 30
Bias files use same ISO and same aperture, Lens cap on then fastest possible exposure time take at least 30
Flats same ISO same aperture lens cap off, then exposure length is what ever needed for the light histogram to be in the middle take at least 30
Dark flats, same as Flats but lens can on take at least 30

Hope this helps.
happy-kat

Return to General Discussion